Let my try again-vegetarians and cheese?

I was trying to state that cheese HAS meat in it. That is what rennet is. Animal rennet is the stomach lining of a calf. That is why I was so upset when I thought I was doing well, because by eating cheese I was actually eating meat also.

There are some brands that make microbial rennet cheese that is okay for vegetarians.

Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

I agree with you. Animal rennet (rennin) = meat product.

It becomes really difficult when eating out at restaurants or ordering pizza. Most people don't know, or don't care if we ask if their cheese has microbial or calf rennet.

Ya Man,

Needle in the calf's stomach? I always thought rennet was obtained after slaughtering the calf for veal.

I don't like the tofu cheese very much. Light cheese is just as good as the regular. Rennet is just an acid from the stomach lining of a calf and everyone eats it.

It doesn't harm the animal in the process and is taken out by a simple needle. It is not considered cruel by any means. I eat fish now and then. Once you get used to a certain diet, that is how it is. I was served white wine and had to refuse it. I am having trouble with coffee and wine, so I have to cut back, though I do love coffee. I hate the texture of chicken and tried to eat it at Christmas and had to just eat bread, stuffing and vegetables.

Fish, however, no problem. Baked trout, homemade fish and chips, tempura with prawns, squid fried Japanese style, scallops, oyster stew, etc.

• KathyS

Some cheese does have animal rennet in it but many brands also don't. Many cabot cheeses, most or all horizon, applegate farms are animal rennet free.

Rennetless Cheese are the only way to go. There are plenty of them on the market.

To me what is the point of avoiding flesh if a animal is killed so you can eat a product.

I am a "Veggie" for my Health but still it applies.

Rennetless is also available.

W