What is the purpose of Business or Professional Sororities?

I have heard of Delta Phi Gamma or Iota Phi Lambda but what is their purpose and are they respected just as the Historically Black sororities are? Or are these two groups no more than 'wannabe greeks"?

Favorite Answer

HI. I am a Member of Iota Phi Lambda Sorority, Incorporated. We were established in June 1929. Both organizations provide a different spin on Sororities. Not to say we do not have social events as other traditional sororities, but our primarily focus is professional and business initiatives. Iota Phi Lambda Sorority, Incorporated was founded on the principles of the need to advance women in the field of business. You should really review our website which is located at www.iota1929.org. You will be able to learn more about our history, programs and membership.

As far as whether or not this organization is respected among other Greeks, I would have to say it would depend on the person you ask. Many people who are aware of us, feel we are a wonderful organization who has made a great deal of advancements for African-American women. We are supporters of the NAACP, NCNW, and others. I think there is a misconception that our organization is less popular because we are not a 'traditional' sorority. However, I wouldn't say we are 'wannabe greeks'. Mainly because we were invited by the NPHC to become members and our Founder did not accept. Does that mean we feel we are better than any other Sorority? No. Not at all. Actually, many of our members belong to Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporate, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated and many others.

I do hope this bit of information has answered your question. If not, please feel free to contact me with further questions.

Source(s): I am a member.
  • Pamela

she would have to be able to prove that the dues, or any other claimed expenses, were required to directly support the earning of her income. the irs will certainly have its doubts, since a sorority is a social organization. you didn't explain her status, but i'll assume she is a w-2 employee and therefore "business expenses" are only deductible if she itemizes and only the amount that exceeds 3% of her Adjusted Gross income. maybe it's a moot point.

the professional ones that I know of are great to put on job resumes', and sometimes businesses visit the sorority to check out future employees.

There are professional ones in the UK but i dont know if they are what you mean

CIPD: Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (the one im joining after my Master's Degree

CIMA: Chartered Institute of Management Accountants

CIM: Chartered Institute of Marketing

Source(s): My University