Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

what are the material(s) used to make aircraft propeller?

-detail name of the material.

Update:

More details of the materials and please give details of your source.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mav
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When I was an engineer at Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, we specified hi grade aluminum alloy, type 6061, per Mil STD and ASM specifications.

Wood is still popular for small aircraft. Advanced aircraft now use Composite materials.

see the following link:

http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/propelle.htm

Aircraft propellers are precision parts and they must be balanced.

Sandy

Source(s): Engineer
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Propeller Material:

Wood propellers are the lightest and present the smallest load to an engine assuming all else is equal (diameter, pitch and shape). They are capable of turning higher RPM than a heavier propeller.

Wooden propellers are also the most easily broken. My opinion is that wood propellers are the most efficient and best performing in the air. Others disagree and they may be right because I'm not a good enough pilot to really have an opinion.

In any case, if you nose over your planes often enough then wood propellers are probably a poor choice for you.

Fiberglass-filled nylon propellers are the heaviest propellers and also the most durable. These are a good choice for beginners because they hold up better than other types to propeller strikes. They are less efficient than wood or carbon fiber propellers, however.

Carbon Fiber Propellers are very rigid, but extremely expensive. I have seen carbon fiber propellers only for large engines. They may be available in smaller sizes in the future.

All of the above propeller materials maintain their shape well under load. Wood and carbon fiber are best.

Fiberglass-filled nylon propellers are the most flexible of propellers that I recommend, but not enough to cause significant problems.

Pure Nylon propellers are always a poor choice unless you crash every time you fly. If that's the case, then nylon propellers aren't the answer for you. Stamp collecting is.

Nylon propellers are so flexible that they twist in use which means they are constantly changing pitch. This flexing also creates a lot of vibration. The end result is akin to spinning the wheels of your car — a lot of energy is going to waste. Nylon propellers are just bad. Don't use them.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/m...

There are many excellent racing propellers for all classes available; both wood and carbon fiber material. Also these props have various airfoil shapes and t/c distributions.

Ö Carbon fiber props are recommended because they are stronger and stiffer than wooden props even covered with carbon fiber cloth. They will allow use of a higher aspect ratio blade without structural failure. Sometimes a properly designed wooden prop will break in the air even with a lower aspec ratio, due to the extreme dynamic loads involved. However, they will retain their geometrical pitch with reduced blade deflection.

Ö Some props use the NACA 64-2xx series airfoil, or a variant with higher camber. I prefer an airfoil with a flat bottom max t/c at 35%, and with sharp L.E. &T.E.

Ö Carbon fiber props are available from Supercool and AeroSport, and can be used with very little or no modifications.

A propeller blade must be designed to withstand very high centrifugal forces. The blade also must withstand the thrust force produced plus any vibratory forces generated, such as those due to uneven flow fields. To withstand the high stresses due to rotation, propeller blades have been made from a number of materials, including wood, aluminum, hollow steel, and plastic composites. The most common material used has been solid aluminum. However, the composite blade constructions are being used for new turboprop installations because of their very light weight and high strength characteristics.

visit:

InstantResource.net/Airplanes

• banach
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Aeroplane Propeller

• 4 years ago

I'm sure you'll find plenty of used defected aircraft propeller at the nearest local GA airport near you. You won't be able to find too many bent or cracked propellers, but you'll find many propellers with high flying hours. They're a dime for a dozen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

During WWI, I believe the material of choice was spruce or beech. SInce WWII it's been aluminum.

• 1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.