Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Self-referential sentences?

Hey all, rack your brains and come up with some good ones - self-referential sentences like:

1. This sentence no verb.

2. This sentence trails off at the end and has no con

3. Ten Letters.

4. An incomplete sentence.

5. This sentence rejoices in its incomprehensibility.

Etc etc...

• bfrank
    Favorite Answer

Is this a question?

If your sentence has a long introductory clause or a lot of prepostional phrases of one sort or another, if it builds up its basic meaning gradually, but holds its main clause until the very end, it's a periodic sentence.

A generative sentence starts simply, opening with a main clause, usually a very simple one, then adding phrases and clauses, gradually accumulating more specifics and a deeper meaning, its final phrase sometimes a nominative absolute or an appositive, just one more detail.

Essayists like the classicists created sentences with parallel parts; poets like the psalmist balanced a first clause with a similar second one.

Get your reader's attention with an imperative!

Or a truncated sentence.

Short sentences sizzle.

but this isn't a . . . .

("Holy interjection! What a fun exclamation!" he quoted himself saying.)

At last, indefatigable reader, you have reached the height of absurdity, the self-referential sentence to end all self-referential sentences: THIS is my peroration.

• small

This sentence is given.

PS: Ask Saddam

In consequently Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche has a marvelous 2d of rhetorical genius and self-reference: With making a music, weeping, giggling, and mumbling do I compliment the God who's my God. yet what dost thou convey us as a modern-day?" whilst Zarathustra had heard those words, he bowed to the saint and stated: "What ought to I ought to offer thee! enable me quite hurry consequently lest I take aught faraway from thee!"--And consequently they parted from one yet another, the previous guy and Zarathustra, giggling like schoolboys. whilst Zarathustra became on my own, in spite of the undeniable fact that, he stated to his heart: "might desire to or no longer it is obtainable! This previous saint interior the wooded area hath no longer yet heard of it, that God is lifeless!" it relatively is a connection with The gay technological expertise: have you ever heard of that madman who lit a lantrin interior the bright morning hours, by surprise met the marketplace place, and cried continuously, "I seek for God! I seek for God!" As lots of people who don't think in God have been status around merely then, he provoked plenty laughter... "Wither is God," he cried. "I shall inform you. we've killed him--you and that i. all persons are murderers... God is lifeless. God remains lifeless. And we've killed him...

This sentence cannot be repeated.

I am not procrastinating until tomorrow, then i will begin to procrastinate

You mean like, say... this question?