Sibling rivalry?

I just caught my oldest son wailing on his little brother. Not just punching. WAILING. Is this "normal"? What should I do?

I told him to go to his room & get out of my sight. I can't even look at him.

Favorite Answer

i would suggest that is happens in alot of families around the globe dont worry about it you are not alone in this...... i know how this is because i was in this situation wit my older sibling how mu older sibling did it to me, i would figure that the older child has some kind of issue that he is not able to express in words and that evenually shall spend time and get that trust wit you or someone too get it out his system. or it will continue.better to do something about it soon because it might have a chance on leaving a scar on the youngest one that you are talkin about. and get help if you dont think that you can do it by yourself. it ok shall work out in the long run

It's normal, but it's not okay.

You don't say how old your children are, so it's hard to tell what may have caused it or how to deal with it.

It doesn't have to be sibling rivalry. My oldest has done that to his little brother over things that I just can't understand.

I think this is normal- i used to... well, to put it nicely, hurt my brother in any way i could when i got mad at him. I used to dislike him for everything he "did" to me (the silly little things like... him getting what looked like the bigger bowl of patato chips... who got more money... etc.)

I would say that after the kiddies both calm down, talk 2 them, one at a time, and then both 2gether- tell them that they are brother and that they need to be able to cooperate w/ each other... to share and to be nice to each other. and if they do not listen to you and continue their behavior, i suggest that taking away a privilege or not buying candy/toys for them or something will improve their behavior

well no thats abusing n if u let him then thats the same as u abusing him so punish him really bad like next time ground him 4 like 2 months- no phone, internet, tv, psp, or wutever he does 4 entertainment so ya.

It is possible that the younger son instigated the situation. I suggest you talk to them, and maybe start doing activities that force them to bond as brothers, and become better freinds.

I think, if you had to post this here because you had absolutely no idea what to do to rectify the situation then you better go get parenting classes.

oh, Jeez that's a tough one. Remember ostracizing him, or making him feel unloved won't help. You need to talk to him! Give yourself time to cool down, then go let him know how upset you are with his BEHAVIOUR (not him) and tell him how it's NEVER o.k. to hit. Remember to let him know you love him, and you want both your kids to feel safe. It'll be alright.

• atbkkj

be easy!! dont make him feel bad about himself you need to talk to him and tell him what he did was wrong but it doesnt make him bad he just cant be like that with his little brother