spaztic_wolf asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Cat issues?

I have an nine month old, blue-point male Siamese cat who seems to developed a rather bad habit. He has decided that the cat litter box is not good enough and he must use whatever type of cloth material he can find laying around instead. Yes, his cat litter box is pristine. No, it is not an issue with the type of litter, we have already tested this. And yes, he is neutered. He lives with two other cats, both of which do not mimic these actions.

I have been warned that this is a behavioral issue. And that there is not much I can do. I have noticed that he only seems to relieve himself in the wrong areas when I have done something to upset him. Of course one would say, 'don't upset him then', but he tends to flip out over the smallest of changes and then, we're back to square one. Please, if you have any suggestions, I really need help. If this continues, he may not be able to stay with us and that would tear me to pieces.

Favorite Answer

There are a lot of reasons cats don't use their box. He may be having territorial issues since he lives with other cats. There should be several boxes, often one cat claims a box as its territory or the cat doesnt feel safe in the box. He may also have a UTI. First I would add more litter boxes in various locations, some without covers, remove as many piles of cloth items as possible, and use Feliway. Then maybe read a book such as Cat vs. Cat to see if there seem to be any intercat issues. It has a large chapter on litter problems.

I like the answer above; very good ideas.

Another thing that popped into my mind, is lining his litterbox with newspaper or cloth. Then, even if he does go on the cloth, it's contained to the litterbox and you could wash it out. Better to wash out a bunch of old rags that were *in* the litterbox than to have to clean other items of clothing and other areas of the house.

Good luck! :)