If I think I have a personality disorder, what are the chances that I actually have it?

Don't people say....people who have a disorder usually don't think that they have it?

So If I think I have some personality disorder, does that mean I probably don't have it?

Favorite Answer

Depends on what disorder you think you have or how specific you are trying to be. If you think that you may have some sort of anxiety disorder, I would think it is likely that you do, however, if you think that you may be bipolar, that is much much harder to diagnose for yourself. I would suggest that you find a good counselor and let him or her do the diagnosing. There are a ton of things that trained professionals will look at concerning you and your life. Besides, counseling would probably be really good for you.

Source(s): Senior psychology major.

They say you can tell a lot about someone with paranoid personality disorder by following them around!

Seriously though, I have the same problem. I keep on reading about narcissistic and borderline personality disorders and am convinced it is about me. I even don't listen to my psychiatrist when he says I havn't got those things (a true narcissistic thing).

I think that it is mainly anti social personality disorder and perhaps narcissism where people don't accept they have a disorder.

There are 10 personality disorders I think - which one do you think you have? Have you read up on them? I think most of us have some extreme traits that are bordering on personality disorder - they only become a problem when they effect our functioning and our relationship with others to a large degree.

No..I think thats being crazy..thats what is meant by if you are asking about being crazy then you probably aren't ,but yes you can have a personality disorder and know it.. My ex was bi polar and a manic depressive and she knew it and never sought help for it and well she is ok but has had really bad rages and temper which unfortunately was passed down to one of my daughters.. but why dont you get a therapist for a bit and ask what he thinks,if you are concerned about it. But the fact that you are asking then its probably not a problem but im not a doctor of any fashion shape or form but when in doubt ask.

There are several personality disorders out there. The one I am most familiar with, is Multiple personality disorder. That is where you have 2 or more distinct personalities. You loose time, and find yourself wondering how you got particular items. If this sounds like you then you may want to talk to a DR.

MPD/DID are normally developed with a very traumatic event from your childhood. and there are no effect medications to treat it, it just requires therapy and such.

Just because you think they're out to get you, doesn't mean they aren't.

Source(s): Good Luck and Happy New Year!

your chances are 50/50. you either have it or you don't.