In NCAA Football, is a player down when the ball in his hand touches the ground?

In NCAA Football, is a player down when the ball in his hand touches the ground, but his knee does not?

Update:

Does anyone have a citation?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. A knee has to hit. Same as the pro's.

Edit: Here is a link to the NCAA Football rulebook. WARNING---It is a .pdf, and it is 233 pages long. I wasnt going to wade through it to find the specific rule, but I guarantee it's in there---

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_footba...

Edit 2: On page 74, Article 3.B states the ball is dead when any part of the players body, except for his hand or foot, touches the ground.

OK, I said I wasnt going to wade through it, but I did. So, I guess it's official. Hand down is OK, forearm/elbow/etc is not.

• Pamela
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No he is not down because his knee or elbow did not touch the ground first. In the NFL the rule is, the ground can not cause a fumble, but it's different in the NCAA.

• 1 decade ago

The player is not down if his hand touches the ground. A knee, forearm, elbow, butt, etc. must touch the ground for the player to be considered down.

• 1 decade ago

If any part of the ball touches the ground, the play is dead.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, his forearm needs to hit the ground, the ball is a part of his hand and you are allowed to use your hand to maintain balance.

• 1 decade ago

yes he is. if any part of his body touches the ground he is down.

• 5 years ago

What if his ankle is touching the ground?

• 1 decade ago

When his knee touches, he's down, with or without contact.

• ben.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes, it's a little different from the Pro's, but it's still legal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.