In NCAA Football, is a player down when the ball in his hand touches the ground?

In NCAA Football, is a player down when the ball in his hand touches the ground, but his knee does not?

Does anyone have a citation?

Favorite Answer

No. A knee has to hit. Same as the pro's.

Edit: Here is a link to the NCAA Football rulebook. WARNING---It is a .pdf, and it is 233 pages long. I wasnt going to wade through it to find the specific rule, but I guarantee it's in there---

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_footba...

Edit 2: On page 74, Article 3.B states the ball is dead when any part of the players body, except for his hand or foot, touches the ground.

OK, I said I wasnt going to wade through it, but I did. So, I guess it's official. Hand down is OK, forearm/elbow/etc is not.

• Pamela

No he is not down because his knee or elbow did not touch the ground first. In the NFL the rule is, the ground can not cause a fumble, but it's different in the NCAA.

The player is not down if his hand touches the ground. A knee, forearm, elbow, butt, etc. must touch the ground for the player to be considered down.

If any part of the ball touches the ground, the play is dead.

No, his forearm needs to hit the ground, the ball is a part of his hand and you are allowed to use your hand to maintain balance.

yes he is. if any part of his body touches the ground he is down.

What if his ankle is touching the ground?

When his knee touches, he's down, with or without contact.

• ben.

yes, it's a little different from the Pro's, but it's still legal.