Candee asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

how do you put power or strength into a hit in tennis?

how to get the ball move with more power and faster in a forehand or a backhand and still have control of the ball?

Favorite Answer

you need good....

timing

hand eye-coordination

strength

leverage

balance

tennis racket

follow through

Use your whole body to hit the ball instead of just using your arms! How? Bend your knees a little bit & practice a good foot work!

As soon as the ball comes to you (or when you come near the ball), let's say you want to hit it with your forehand, then move your left foot in front of your left one. So, instead of standing with your knees bent facing your opponent, you're now standing in the same position, but facing the ball (your left shoulder is now the one facing your opponent), which was to the right of your body before you turn facing it.

Then, just hit the ball back to your opponent, with your forehand, while thrusting your whole body toward the opponent at the same time.. How to do this? You're releasing your whole energy by kinda "springing" your right leg (which is behind your left foot).., so that your whole body naturally shifts to the left leg (which is in front of your right foot). Your bending your knees is like a spring effect, really, and it gives you more power.

So, when you hit the ball this way, you should be able to transfer your strength from your whole body (not just from your arm) to every hit of the ball. If you want to do backhand, do the same, but instead of moving your left foot in front of your right, you do it the other way around: you need to move your right foot in front of your left. I actually use both arms/hands to do backhand, and it actually helps force me move in this kind of position, because when I swing my racket with both hands to hit the ball backhand, my body naturally turns to the left, positioning my right foot in front of my left & me facing the ball.

I know it'll probably feels kinda awkward to turn your body left and right like this instead of just standing face to face with your opponent the whole time, but I hope with more practice, you'll find it very effective, and you'll probably enjoy playing tennis even more!! Good luck!

Source(s): I've been playing tennis for about 20 years, since I was a little kid.

It's all about timing.You have to syncronise the movement of your body to form a chainreaction starting from your legs then going through your body to end up in your arm and wrist to make the racket travel as fast as possible. The faster your body can produce that chainreaction, the faster your racket can travel through the contactpoint.

The control part comes in when you can make your strings point towards your target as long as possible during that chainreaction.

Source(s): Tennis Science

You need to step into the ball, hitting off of your front foot.

Increase racket head speed, (swing faster) and practice, practice, practice for the control. Being consistent comes with practice, and consistency is the key to controlling the ball.

Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they can't do it wrong .

Source(s): my husband (who thinks he's Andre Agassi)

Just concentrate to ball, then pull aside racket and when you hit to ball then make ball to spin (to make, spin little your racket), at the end of hit cover your racket over your shoulder. :D

Power comes from hip rotation.

use your body....bend your legs and really push our body into the court. it will surprise you how much power you can get and you will still have all your control if you stick wih your original swing and follow through

Lift weights and get stronger, then do what the others say.

• swing really hard

Source(s): experiance