Which of the following would be?

A 59-year-old woman with a 60 pack-year smoking history was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 months ago. She now enters the hospital in coma. Her serum calcium is 16 mg/dL. Which of the following would be the most useful to reduce calcium in this patient rapidly ?

A Spironolactone

B Hydrochorothiazide

C Furosemide

D Mannitol

E Acetazolamide

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't feel there's enough info, but based just on what you are asking I would say C Lasix or Furosemide, reason being it can cause rapid volume depletion and dehydration, asymptomatic hyperuricemia, impaired glucose tolerance, hypokalemia, hypochloremic alkalosis, hyperglycemia, dilutional hyponatremia, hypocalcemia, and hypomagnesemia. Certainly it would also decrease lung edema, the question here is that I have seen protocols using mannitol, acetazolamide, and dexamethasone used for the same thing, I think the key here is "rapidily." Protocols do differ from place to place, I think I would hedge on C as the answer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

B. All the above drugs are primarily diuretic drugs. Spironolactone is a potassium sparing drug. Furosemide acts at the distal tubles by inhibiting the sodium-potassium-2chloride, channel, to decrease the absorption of the salts and water. Mannitol causes osmotic diuresis, ie drags water along with it when it is secreted out. Acetazolamide is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Hydrochorothiazide is a thazide class of drug that is used to treat hypercalciuria.

• Acetazolamide

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

C, Hypercalcemia is normally treated with rapid-infusion saline and diuresis with furosemide.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Are you a doctor? If so refer to your PDR. If not, refer to a doctor and don't write any prescriptions.

• 3 years ago

RANGERS gamers ARE CHEATS, they might desire to GET 3-6 factors DEDUCTED FOR cheating, IF RANGERS WINS THE LEAGUE, THEY gained because of the fact THEY CHEATED final SATURDAY against ABERDEEN, CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS

• 1 decade ago

None.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.