Is a tsunami worse then a typhoon?

Favorite Answer

pretty much yes. but it also depends on the location. flat, low and enclosed lands, when hit by a typhoon, might also get the same damage as when it's hit by a tsunami.

a tsunami is only better than typhoons in that it could only hit locations near oceans or beaches, but if it's really large, the damage could spread inwards, depending on where the water stops.

Sort of, A typhoon can be seen on radar and they can predict the course it will take. A Tsunami may come out of the middle of the ocean, from an earth quake and travels much faster than a typhoon, so, will not be able to have time to predict the out come...Hope this helps..

I live in Florida, by the ocean. Hurricanes (sorry typhoons) suck, strong winds, rain, at first bulletin boards and plastic signs blow away, then telephone poles (power, cable, internet and telephone), blow away. If you are lucky you don't loose your roof. Hurricanes destroy big things like oak trees, not palm trees, warehouses, not cars or people (I would not test this theory and say stand next to an oak tree or warehouse). The big danger comes after the storm, sewage pump stations don't work without power. Driving is dangerous with no stop signs, street lights, and all sorts of things lying in the roadway not to mention downed power lines. They won't even sell beer.

Hurricanes don't usually kill people, although they can cause a lot of damage, and bring death in the aftermath. I know some Katrina victims will disagree, Katrina was not a hurricane, as much as it was a flood. This brings me to my next point. I have been through many hurricanes, I have yet to stand face to face with a raging wall of water. I am a good swimmer yet I still think water is heavy compared to wind and rain.

In most cases you would think so but storm surges created by hurricanes & typhoons can be just as bad, unless the tsunami wave is really big and covers a wide, heavily populated area like it was in Sumatra.

Well, when they're big, tsunamis cause widespread destruction to hundreds or thousands of miles of coast. Typhoons can't do anything close to that kind of damage. Even if they are highly destructive, it's to a (comparably) small area.

Typhoon = hurricane.

It's apples and oranges. Both are bad.

Both are equally disastrous acts of God.