brian k asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

can someone tell me why brandon macarthy was traded from the whitesox?

Favorite Answer

Because WIlliams saw the ridiculous amounts of money that mediocre starting pitchers (Meche, Lilly) were getting this offseason and realized that he won't be able to resign a couple of his starters next year, so he wanted to get a couple of solid young starters that he will have for the next 4-5 years and still keep payroll at a reasonable amount.

Brandon McCarthy looks like he will be a good pitcher, maybe even great, but they did get alot for him. Danks was considered untouchable by the Phillies before the trade as well. So only time will tell who got the better end of the deal. The Sox did get the Phillies #1 and #8 pitching prospects in the deal.

I can't give you a good answer. Right now McCarthy would be a better pitcher than all three minor leaguers the Sox got in the deal. However, all three are good pitchers but have a long ways to go before they make it to the major leagues. Only time will tell but I think McCarthy will be a VERY good pitcher in Texas where he will get a good chance on a bad pitching staff...outside of maybe Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla. I thought too that trading Garcia was an effort to make room for McCarthy so I am not sure what they look to accomplish in trading both of them.

The White Sox's are like the Cubs they like to spread out the years between World Series Championships

nymetskin is right,Williams is an asskissing dicksucking piece of **** who was prob in his office giving Reinsdorph a ******** when he made this trade,especially after that smokescreen bullshit about telling other teams GM's that McCarthy was as close to an untouchable player on this roster,considering he had just traded Garcia 2 weeks prior to open up a spot for him,granted,Masset,Danks,and Floyd arent bad,but McCarthy had McDowell tendencies written all over him,and Kenny just gave him away like the *** he is

• Eho

Who knows!? I though he was opening up a spot for him when he dealt Garcia, then, BANG, he trades McCarthy. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Is he playing for the future, or the present?

cuz williams got the BABY MEAT nd his mom look lyke barney rubble jerkin off 2 chamillionaire doin the rain dance while jim jones nd the background sayin " i think shee like me"

Yeah there GM Wiliams.

He's stockpiling the system with good young prospects.

because the GM is spirally down into the depths of madness... that's my guess anyways

Probably b/c Williams smoked crack that week.