When a person is half black and half white, why is he considered african american?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because of the one drop rule. It was a law of sorts during slavery and afterward that said anyone with even "one drop" of black blood was black. Blackness was looked at as an impurity then. The law was meant to keep the white race "pure." And all these years later we are still thinking in the same terms. Sad, no?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The answer is simple and archaic. No matter how little the amount of African ethnic blood there is in the person, they are considered to be "black" or now-a-days African American. This is a carry over from the time when it was thought that if you had any of this blood in your family line you were "tainted". So even if the person isn't recognizable as "black" on documentation it is still expected that the person claim that blood.

I liked the 2000 Census because for the first time you could record if you were mixed, and they let you check as many boxes as you needed to. Maybe someday people will get real and realize that very few people are "pure" anything anymore and stop forcing people to mark down their race.

• 1 decade ago

Congratulations Green! It is because of the one drop rule of thumb that the fathers of the land started years ago. But that turned out to be not a bad thing after all, our population grew by leaps and bounds in the African American community! We take all people, we are nurturers.

• 1 decade ago

Not always...if someone of mixed race has the features dominated of a white person, then they are most likely considered white. The same goes for someone who has dominated black features.

For example, the Hodgson twins, if you check out Wikipedia for them you will see that although they are fraternal twins, one looks white and the other looks black. Would you consider the white looking child black because she is of mixed race?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I guess the black gene is more dominant, so people lean towards African American when coming up with a title for the person.

• wishon
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Tiger Woods do not see himself as a black golfer so because it somewhat is moot. so a tactics as what young little ones are seen, i will in my opinion say that youngsters are what their mothers are. My sons are blended, yet on their delivery certificates and what the scientific institution wrote down interior the place of work work, they're black. No. we don't want color labels and stuff yet like somebody mentioned, this has been overwhelmed lifeless with lots of different themes and there is not something we can do approximately it.

• 1 decade ago

I don't consider anyone an African American unless he is from Africa. If you are born here, you are an American. If you are from Africa, then you are an African American. If you are from Europe, you are a European American.

If you are an American Indian, you are an Aboriginal American.

But why don't we drop all the adjectives and just all be Americans?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Isn't he considered half African american?

• 1 decade ago

They are considered American american or Black because people are considering the genes that are dominant within the child.

• 1 decade ago

The person is actually bi-racial, however society will acknowledge the predominant race, (in this case black) and usually a person mixed black and white, actually looks more black than white,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.