Does the smell of perfume change?

How long would it take a brand new bottle of perfume to change it's smell while just sitting on the shelf?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends. Heat, light, temperature, etc. call all effect the perfume. It also greatly depends if the bottle has been opened, and if it is a spray or not. But basically, yes!! Keep the bottles out of direct sunlight and in a temperature-controlled environment to make the fragrance have as long a shelf life as possible.

• 1 decade ago

My experience is yes. Especially if it's somewhere hot, like a car, or if some ov the alcohol or water evaporates and beads up on the side of the bottle, the perfume seems to be stronger, and doesn't' smell as good. It starts to smell cheap. Keep your perfume in a cool dry place.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I found a piece of clothing in a drawer once around 1995 and I was from the 70's and you could still smell a faint perfume smell.

• 1 decade ago

if it's not been opened, a bottle of perfume can probably retain its original scent even as long as 5 years.

but once its seal has been broken, you can expect not only the scent, but also the color of the perfume, to change.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know how long it would take but perfume like anything else has a use by date - it goes off after a while...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it needs to sit in a dark dry place but it wont go bad for 3 years.

• 1 decade ago

when its open id say a year or 2 max unopened its hard to say it could be around the same time or probably a bit longer

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I dont think so.

or maybe i just hope not.

lol.

cause mine would be changed by now!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

confusing step. check out at bing and yahoo. that will can help!

• 1 decade ago

no........ maybe u should see a sicikatrist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.