Does the smell of perfume change?

How long would it take a brand new bottle of perfume to change it's smell while just sitting on the shelf?

Favorite Answer

Depends. Heat, light, temperature, etc. call all effect the perfume. It also greatly depends if the bottle has been opened, and if it is a spray or not. But basically, yes!! Keep the bottles out of direct sunlight and in a temperature-controlled environment to make the fragrance have as long a shelf life as possible.

My experience is yes. Especially if it's somewhere hot, like a car, or if some ov the alcohol or water evaporates and beads up on the side of the bottle, the perfume seems to be stronger, and doesn't' smell as good. It starts to smell cheap. Keep your perfume in a cool dry place.

I found a piece of clothing in a drawer once around 1995 and I was from the 70's and you could still smell a faint perfume smell.

if it's not been opened, a bottle of perfume can probably retain its original scent even as long as 5 years.

but once its seal has been broken, you can expect not only the scent, but also the color of the perfume, to change.

I don't know how long it would take but perfume like anything else has a use by date - it goes off after a while...

it needs to sit in a dark dry place but it wont go bad for 3 years.

when its open id say a year or 2 max unopened its hard to say it could be around the same time or probably a bit longer

I dont think so.

or maybe i just hope not.

lol.

cause mine would be changed by now!

confusing step. check out at bing and yahoo. that will can help!

no........ maybe u should see a sicikatrist