Whats your opinion on President Harry Truman was he a good president or a bad pesident? why or why not?

I HAVE TO WRITE AN ESSAY BUT IM JUST CONFUSED FROM THE FACTS OF HIS LIFE. WHAT DO YOU GRADE HIM AS FROM A SCALE 1-5. 5 BEING THE BEST AND 1 BEING BAD THANK YOU PLEASE HELP ME AND GIVE EXAMPLES PLEASE THANK YOU HAPPY NEW YEARS

Favorite Answer

One of the best Pres. our country had. He had a no nonsence approach to everything, didn't put up with bull*** and refused to play politics....but I will not do your homework for you. The facts are easy to find. seek facts...not opinion.

First of all, to the person who said Truman had little political experience, check your history books again because he had been in the U.S. Senate for 10 years before being tabbed as Vice-President.

As for grading him as President, I would rank him at about 3-1/2.

Yes, he was in charge when WWII ended, but plans for dropping the atomic bomb on Japan had been in the works since before he took office -- he simply gave the go-ahead. Then, barely five years after ending one war he got the U.S. into another one -- Korea. So I don't think I could say he enjoyed great foreign policy succeess.

The domestic success enjoyed by the U.S. during his presidency had as much to do with the return of American GI's as it did anything else, but there is no question that a nation confident in its leadership enjoys greater success.

Although I think Truman was a good and honest man, and was a better politician than most, as President I have to say he was just about average.

Harry Trueman was a no nonsense by the book president.

Right or wrong he Trueman was not afraid to face up to big names like General Douglas Mac Author, and Usually followed his on advice.

True became a vice president under Roosevelt mainly because Roosevelt wanted a quiet "stand behind me man and that was what he got in Trueman". How ever once Trueman took office he proved to be a much better and stronger leader than Roosevelt in dealing with the Soviet Threat. (Roosevelt never really saw The Soviet Union as the threat it was).

Check this site on trueman for best results.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/ht33....

When he advanced to become president due to Roosevelt's death Trueman had little experience in politics and none in world affairs. He was a field field artillery officer during ww1 but after the war returned to his home state of missiouri and began a business life and later a political life which led eventually to his job as Vice-President and than President.

True became one of the world leaders reaching far beyond Roosevelt's plans for America and the world. He was a main instrument in forming the United nations and establishing the Truman Doctrine in dealing with the Soviet Union . The Marshall Plan, named for his Secretary of State was implemented by Trueman and resulted in stopping Russian advancements into Europe by revitalizing Europe from the disasters of war.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I would put him anbout 5 after Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Adams, Nixon.

He was a good president because he had the guts to nuke the hell out of Japan, thus ending the war.

• m c

5, he could take care of the problem real fast, like BOOM, problem solved.