if you work on new years day do they pay you time and a half or is it double time ?

Favorite Answer

I'm working n y day, in my company, if a holiday falls on my regular work day, I get double time. If I sign up to work a holiday on a day I don't usually work, it's time & a half.

The British Columbia Employment Standard Act says employee working on Statutory Holiday must pay time and a half for the first 12 hours, and double time after 12 hours.

Employment law is within the Provincial Government's jurisdiction. It is different from province to province.

I don't know about the U S Law.

There is no legal requirement for this, so it depends on what your company's policy is concerning holiday pay.

For instance, where I work, if you start work on a holiday, you get paid time and one-half for the entire shift. However, if your workday starts on a different day, it's regular time. Other places pay nothing additional while others may pay 1-1/2 times, double, or even triple time for holidays.

depends on the company. Some pay straight time, no onvertime, some pay more like time and half or double time. Im making 2.5 time for my holidays.

Depends on the company and what their rules are. I work in a union plant and our contract says we get double time for all hours worked plus 8 hours of holiday pay. In effect triple time for an 8 hour shift.

• goldie

my works just pays time and a half

• Dyan

It is according to company policy. So many stores are open on New Years that I doubt they pay their employee any extra pay. Just another work day.

It is time and a half at the hospital where I am working tonight.

you well just get your normal pay check