How do I talk to my 5 year old son about death?

Favorite Answer

More detail? Did someone/thing die? Family/pet?

Just a suggestion: Check out the local book store. There are illustrated books that helps you to explain death. Call your clergy people to ask for help. It isn't easy to explain to any child, let alone a 5 yr old. Keep it simple and let him lead the way. Answer his questions the best you can, be honest and try to use words that he will understand. Be patient.

when my niece was still born my 4 yr old wanted to know what happened and i just told her that she has gone to play with the angels above the clouds. and told her that the word for this is died.

i think this worked well as when our friends puppy had died i over heard her telling her young friend that her puppy died which means his running around on the clouds playing ball with the angels and that the angels will take care of the puppy. and if her little friend looks hard enough u can see the puppy smiling at u through the clouds (i was such r proud mum that day)

so maybe try this.

I say that you need to be totally honest about death.

Explain that sometimes people get old or sick or hurt very badly and that their body has decided it does not want to suffer, so they close their eyes and pass away so that they wont feel pain anymore.

If you believe in God and Heaven and Angels, this can always be a comforting thing for a child to hear as well.

• Barbiq

All you can do is be as gentle and as honest as you can be. Keep the conversation short and simple and be prepared to answer one or one thousand and one questions. Also be prepared to have the same conversation over and over again especially if it involves a close family member or favored family pet.

I would tell my 5 year old boy that everything has a beginning and and an end. Sometimes we lose things that we can find later, but sometimes we lose them forever. All we can do, is love what is here and now. Remind him of happy moments, if you wish, but remind him of what he has now.

• nobody

Let him watch bambi then break it to him gently. Tell him that people and pets sometimes die and that when they do they go to a better place. Then get him some ice cream or a treat to make him feel better.

well i had to tell my 3 yr. old where his family went every year of his life.when his wonderful granny passed away oct.11,2006-he said that she went to see JESUS and his sister and brother(i miscarried twins in may of 06).he loves the fact that shes with JESUS and everyone else-tell him that both JESUS and whoever has passed will always love him and live in his heart..it has worked and done wonders on the grieving process with my son..good luck..it is hard..

Well you could tell him that the loved one has went to a better place and that you someday will meet again then when he gets a little older then tell him.

• tanner

What is he asking? What is the circumstances surrounding the need for this conversastion w/ him?