leila asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

well my mom wants me to see a gyn now and i wanted to know........?

will it hurt more because im a virgin?

how long will it take?

if i were to close my legs while they were inserting that thing waht will they say and do?

do i really have to go through this now?

i know i have a lot of questions but i need to know. im 16 and my mom says its time for me to have my first exam. i really dont believe her. i dont want a male or a female looking at my private area. i do occasionally have irregular periods considering how long i have had my period, but could this be a reason to go. they are sometimes painful too but they are getting better. im really scared because i have a very low tolerance for pain and i know i should get over that but can you all give me a little information about this. im so sorry for all the dumb questions but i need to know. my mom and i dont talk much so how do i go about trying to get her to change her mind. is it really true that i should go?

my friends have also told me that it is very uncomfortable and embarassing. is it true

Favorite Answer

You may be worried about your first pelvic exam. It's very normal to be anxious about something when you don't know what to expect. Hopefully after reading this information, you will be reassured that it is simple, isn't painful and takes only about 5 minutes. It is also normal to feel embarrassed or uneasy about your first exam. However, if you know what to expect, it may help you relax. Your health care provider understands how you feel and will be sensitive and gentle, and answer any questions you have.

What is a pelvic or gynecological exam?

A pelvic exam is a way for your health care provider to examine your female organs and check for any gynecological problems.

When should I have my first pelvic exam?

There are no definite rules as to when you should have your first pelvic exam. Most health care providers agree that you should have your first exam in the first few years after you become sexually active or when you turn 21, whichever comes first. There are other important reasons to have a pelvic exam. These may include:

Unexplained pain in your lower belly or around the pelvic area, where your vagina is;

Vaginal discharge or wetness on your underwear that causes itching , burns or smells bad;

No menstrual periods by age 15 or 16;

Vaginal bleeding that lasts more than 10 days;

Missed periods; especially if you are having sex;

Menstrual cramps so bad that you miss school

Remember, it doesn’t matter how old you are or if you are sexually active, if you have any of the above symptoms, you should make an appointment with your health care provider or gynecologist.

Will I need a pelvic exam if I'm a virgin?

Even if you are a virgin (you've never had vaginal intercourse), you may need a pelvic exam if you are having any of these problems. Having a pelvic exam doesn't change anything, just as using tampons doesn't change your hymen (the skin that partly covers the opening to your vagina).

What should I do before the exam?

When you make your appointment, be sure to let the secretary or nurse know that this is your first pelvic exam. The nurse can answer your questions and help explain what to expect so you won't be worried.

Do NOT have sex, use vaginal creams or douche for 24 hours before the exam.

What kinds of questions will my health care provider ask me?

Your health care provider will ask you questions about:

Your general health, allergies and medications you are taking;

Your menstrual period, such as how old you were when you first got it, how long it lasts, how often it comes, how much you bleed , the first day that your last period started, if you have cramps; and at what age your breasts started to develop.

Whether you have ever had sex or have been sexually abused.

If you have vaginal itchiness or an unusual discharge (drainage) or odor from your vagina.

Getting Ready

If you find it comforting, your mom, friend or sister can stay with you. The nurse or a medical assistant will too.

After you have given your medical history, been weighed and had your blood pressure checked, you will be asked to put on a gown.

You will need to remove your clothes including your underwear and bra. A breast exam is often done as a routine part of this check-up.

What happens during the exam?

Your health care provider will explain the steps to the exam and ask you to lie down on the exam table. You will be given a sheet to put over your stomach and legs.

You will then be asked to move down to the end of the table and place your feet in stirrups (these are holders for your feet).

With your knees bent, you will be asked to let your knees fall to each side allowing your legs to spread apart.

This is usually the part when most adolescent and adult women feel embarrassed. This feeling is normal too. Just remember that although this is your first exam, this is routine for health care providers and their only concern is for your health.

There are 3 parts to this exam. Sometimes not all parts of the pelvic exam are necessary. Ask your health care provider which part(s) will be done for your examination.

The External Exam

Your health care provider will first look at the area outside of your vagina, (clitoris, labia, vaginal opening, and rectum).

The Speculum Exam

The speculum is an instrument made of metal or plastic. Your health care provider will place the speculum into your vagina. After it is inserted, it will be gently opened so that your health care provider can see your vagina and your cervix (the opening to your uterus). If you like, you can ask your health care provider for a mirror so that you can see what your cervix looks like.

After checking your vagina and cervix, your health care provider may take a thin plastic stick and a special tiny brush or a small “broom” and gently wipe away some of the cells from your cervix. This is a Pap test, which detects early changes of the cervix before they become cancer. Most girls have normal Pap tests.

If you are having vaginal discharge, your health care provider will take another sample to check for yeast and other causes of discharge.

If you are having sex, your health care provider will take another sample from the cervix to check for sexually transmitted diseases. When all of these samples have been taken, your health care provider will close the speculum and gently take it out.

The Bimanual Exam

The last part of the pelvic exam is done to check your female organs (your tubes, ovaries and uterus or womb). Your health care provider will insert one or two gloved fingers into your vagina. With the other hand, your doctor will gently apply pressure to the lower part of your belly. You may feel slight discomfort or pressure when he or she presses in certain places, but it shouldn't hurt. If you do feel pain, it is important to tell your health care provider.

Sometimes your provider will do a rectal exam. This involves inserting one finger into your anus (the opening where bowel movements leave your body) This is usually done at the end of the bimanual exam. Like other parts of the exam, if you relax and take slow deep breaths, it should not be uncomfortable.

What happens after the exam is over?

When the exam is over, your health care provider will answer any questions you have and tell you when to make your next appointment. He or she will also talk to you about any medications you may need and tell you when and how you will get the results of the exam.

Does your mom want you to get a pelvic exam or pap smear? The current medical recommendations say that you should have a pap smear at the age of 21, or 3 years after you become sexually active. If you are not ready for a pelvic exam, you do not need to have one at age 16 unless a doctor feels it is very necessary. A lot of moms just take their daughter early to get them in the routine of good gynecological health care. Irregular periods are very common at the age of 16 and very painful periods are also common.

This is what I tell a lot of young women: if you are a young woman, you have not had unprotected oral or vaginal sex, and you are in good gynecological health, then don't feel forced to get a pelvic exam/pap. Yes, they may be good for your health, but if you are not ready, then you should not feel forced. If you have any concerns about your health, then talk to your gynecologist and ask if a pelvic exam/pap is necessary at this point in time.

Also, just to let you know....When you go to the gynecologist, you don't necessarily need a pelvic exam or pap smear, so don't be scared. Because of your age, you can just tell them you want a well woman exam. This means they will take your medical history, discuss your gynecological health, and discuss if you have a medical need to get a pelvic exam or pap smear. If you and the doctor decide you need a pelvic or pap, you can schedule that for a later time.

Again, don't worry. A lot of women get nervous, I see it all the time! BTW, when I was 16, I didn't get pelvic exams or paps, I just did well woman exams. Well woman exams are a good start.

Source(s): peer health counseling experience; personal experience
  • wishon

it somewhat is wise so which you would be able to bypass see a gyno in case you're 18 years previous and sexually energetic. it somewhat is the smart and accountable difficulty do to. it somewhat is extremely not too undesirable. It would not harm, it somewhat is basically a sprint uncomfortable and it somewhat is over immediately. They do their ultimate to make you experience relaxed inspite of the shown fact that. you're an grownup. there isn't any rationalization to your mom to be there. you would be uncovered basically extremely, and easily, your mom would not would desire to be contemporary. you will would desire to be mushy, and trouble-free including your wellness care expert. i'd desire to make certain that being perplexing with one extra individual interior the room. The wellness care expert will ask in case you're sexually energetic and what technique you employ for birth control. it somewhat is area of their interest to be sure you're wholesome, secure, and that each and every thing is in working order. basically tell her which you're embarrassed to be 0.5 bare in a docs place of work with an aim industry, and which you would be extra mushy approximately going without one.