what is causing my hives?

I have had hives head to toe for the past 7 months. I have seen several doctors including an allergist.I have had allergy tests done, tons of lab work for auto-immune disorders, thyroid, pylori ect. I have taken zyrtec,allegra,benydril,hydroxizine,cingular,claritin everything other than cyclosporine-which can cause severe side effects.i use a non-scented detergent, what else can caused this?

• Favorite Answer

I have had so many allergic reactions in my life, including lots of hives! The one thing that it doesn't sound like you've been properly tested for is food allergies...in my experience scratch tests don't always disclose all food allergies, and the way I discovered my food allergies/intolerances was by being put on what they call an "elimination diet". Effectively you eliminate most foods from your diet, for a couple weeks, then trial different foods in small amounts to see if they were the cause of the reaction....this should be done under a doc's supervision in case you have a more severe reaction than just hives (sometimes allergies can go from hive reactions to anaphylaxis on the next exposure). The diet is called the "failsafe" diet and I was put on it by the allergy clinic at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney Australia. Email me if you'd like more info about it as it sounds to me like it could be the answer. I've attached the link below, and it is the hospital allergy unit website with info books about the diet on line. You can also probably get info on it by a google search and there is also a yahoo group for it. I tested negative on every scratch test, but actually have life threatening reactions to some foods I eat.

I should also add that I once had a doc tell me that when the hives are all over you, food is the likely cause. I also notice you changed laundry detergents, but I'm also wondering about your shampoos, conditioners and the soap you are using...I've had hive reactions to these as well.

Re drugs to take...almost 20 years ago I was getting severe reactions to mosquito bites & I was prescribed a drug they rarely use anymore called atarax....I found it worked far better than anything else I've used since. It's a prescription antihistamine & doesn't seem to be used much anymore, at least here in Australia. I'm actually allergic to Zyrtec! Causes my blood pressure to drop!

Alot of answers are mentioning stress....I'd be suspicious it's more than that as it's head to toes, as opposed to just face & arms and/or torso.

Please let me know how you go....I fully sympathize, having been there myself!

Source(s): Lots of allergies! http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/Allergy/

About 6 months after having my last child, I broke out with hives for the first time ever, from neck to feet, I don't know why my face wasn't included.

Gosh, it was awful. No one was ever able to find out what caused them and just diagnosed me with chronic hives. They lasted for almost four years. They became less and less consistent, as to where in the beginning it was almost every day. Big ole welts on my legs that would start appearing before I even started itching them.

After trying several prescriptions, the only one I found that worked excellent and didn't make me sleepy like all the others was Claritin, which is now bought over the counter.

About the time my youngest turned four, she started breaking out with chronic hives also that she had troubles with for the next seven years or so. She also took Claritin.

We both had allergies also, with hers being worse than mine. When I first got mine and after never having them before with no diagnose for the reason, I sometimes actually wondered if I was allergic to my own child! lol

Then when she got hers, it became a family joke that we were both allergic to each and they had just remained dormant, which we have learned they can do. I don't ever get them anymore, but she does once in a blue moon.

I feel for you though, they are no fun what so ever. It got to the point where I would never get next to someone because if they just barely rubbed against my skin they could set them off and welts would start appearing. I fought scratching whenever an itch came but I didn't have the hives at that moment because as soon as I scratched that one little spot, bumps and welts popping out.

I've taken the first three you listed, but it was Claritin for us. We hated when they quit selling them as a prescription because they were so expensive and before our insurance would pay for it. Even after the hives were long with no outbreaks in a couple of years, we'd both continue the Claritin for runny nose and watery eyes. Cleared it right up.

If you give Claritin a try, I sure hope it works for you.

Happy New Year!!!

I broke out in hives from August-December. I've been through all the changes in laundry soap, shampoo & bath soap. Tried keeping my towels separate from the family. Just as I thought I would lose my mind the allergy doctor found out that I have 26 inhalent allergies and 9 food allergies. I take Claritin every morning and I have cut out my allergy foods and the hives went away. Before the Doc determined all this the other docs kept insinuated that it was my nerves. Don't give up.

One thing to try is to reiterate any past changes within the last 7 months. Try to date back to the time you noticed the hives and try to think of what you might have been eating, what your stress level was, how life for you in general was in those 7 months. What makes the hives worse is when we scratch them (like we can help that, we are going to scratch but try not to), or when we think about it too much and start to stress over it. Personal disclosure here....a regiment that works for me is:

Members Mark a Sam's Club brand:

Loratadine 10mg (Antihistamine)

Allergy Tablets 25 mg (Diphenhydramine, Hydrochloride, Antihistamine) (both take daily)

Or try:

Alavert 24 Hour Allergy Non-Drowsy Allergy Relief (over the counter med you take one pill a day that dissolves in your mouth)

(daily)

I truly hope this can be of assistance to you sweetie...Good luck and try to stay calm you will be back to normal soon...Happy Safe New Year....(smiles)

It's not the scent that causes allergy, but the remaining of detergent on the clothes after being washed. You have to try other detergent (I personally use Tide), or WASH THE CLOTHES FOR A SECOND TIME in the washing machine with clear water, not adding any detergent, in order to rinse them perfectly.

Also, you have to cut down on sugar containing foods or beverages, or Ice cream, and even on honey.

I used to get stress hives. Any stressful situation would cause me to get hives all over my body and face. I used Claritin (the rapid melting tablets) to get rid of it, it was the only thing that worked.

Stress related.

It could be stress related.You could be stressed and not even know.

idont know

try just staying in bed one day drinking water you might be allergic to a fabric! or food idk!!