Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Please help me with this punnet square problem?

I need help with the following question: If 9% of an African population is born with a severe form of sickle-cell anemia (ss), what percentage of the population will be more resistant to malaria because they are heterozygous (Ss) for the sickle-cell gene?

--

please list steps so I can understand this better?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If one homozygous extreme of the punnet square (ss) is 9%, I would imagine that the other homozygous extreme (SS) would also be 9%. Since all other combinations would be heterozygous (Ss), 82% of the population would be more resistant "because they are heterozygous." However, technically speaking, 91% (82% Ss + 9% SS) of the population would be more resistant because they have at least one zygote that combats against the sickle cell gene.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.