I asked about Ford Focus Wagons. Now Dodge Caravans.?

thanks for all your input; they are kind of ugly but we can't afford much. One thing is, my husband does not want any imports. Dodge Man mentioned a Caravan and they seem to be the same price around the Focus Wagon. I wouldn't mind getting one with some small mileage on it but he wants NEW. Do you people think it would be worth getting the V6 if we are going to go ahead and get a minivan? Are they gas hogs?

Favorite Answer

I would get a Caravan if you can find a fairly new one with the 3.3 V6. Otherwise look into the Chrysler Voyager, our 2001 runs like a champ and is well over 100,000 miles, we have had NO transmission problems and we even pulled a camper for years with it. The newer the better is the best advice I can give, and please, do not buy an Oddysey! My grandparents spent good money on one and it is ungodly uncomfortable and isnt any more efficient or reliable then our minivan. And if you do go new consider the Hyundai Entourage, it seems to be a sold car too and starts new at just over 20 grand. Good luck

Dodge Man is asleep now, and frankly, way too many people overrate his answers. Never, ever buy a Caravan with anything less than a six cylinder. The four cylinder is a piece of crap that will leave you stranded and penniless. Minivans are not economical to start with. The six cylinder is not any more of a gas hog than the four cylinder, especially if you consider that it is highly unreliable. In fact, the four cylinder has to work much harder to maintain speed, and therefore gets lousy mileage. Plus the fact that it is poorly-engineered, overworked and simply not up to the task of propelling a vehicle that weighs over 4,000 pounds. If the Chrysler corporation had any scruples, they would return the entire purchase price and the cost of repairs to each and every person who bought one. Do NOT buy a four-cylinder Dodge Caravan, regardless of the number of miles on it. Mind didn't last 50,000 miles.

Source(s): It should be obvious. I bought one.

We have a Chrysler Voyager mini van, and my sister has a Dodge Caravan mini, both are good vehicles, only it is more expensive to repair the Dodge Caravan mini van. I'd recommend a Plymouth Voyager mini van 3.3 V6 engine, they are excellent on gas mileage, very dependable. Look for a used one owner mini van, which has been very well taken care of, the price will be lower, buying brand new the minute you leave the show room your vehicle looses its value ( called depreciation). Best Wishes and Happy Driving and Happy New Year.

Source(s): A Happy Plymouth Mini Van Owner.

I actually have owned a dodge minivan with the 4 cylinder and it had 225K on it when I sold it and it ran great, didnt burn or leak any oil. Dodge has been making the best minivans eversince the late 80's. They are good on gas and are very reliable. Ther are not gas hogs.... buy one, you will be satisfied.

I am on my 3rd Chrysler minivan since 1992.

I think the 3.3 v6 is their best engine.

get the short minivan, they seem to weigh less and have fewer transmission problems.

I can get almost 30mph on the highway if i only go 70mph.

I hate to tell you but Dodge/Chrysler is owned by Germans. Also a lot of them are made out of the U.S. My Dodge Ram pick-up truck was made in Canada.

nicely, to be common, the two suck. i might inspect the Honda in good condition, the Nissan Versa, Hyundai accessory hatch, Kia Rio hatch, Volkswagen golfing or Rabbit, and the Pontiac Vibe/ used Toyota Matrix.

I put 5 transmissions in one 6 years of hell.Then bought a Montana that forced me into bankruptcy (transmission). I will never buy a U.S. car. They are made in Mexico with chinese parts. Toyota for me now.

Source(s): U.S. Nam era Veteran.