my new landlord doesnt want to hand out reciept to tenants?

my new landlord doesnt hand out reciept to the tenants, I requested a receipt for my rent payment for next month but still no receipt from him and I didnt hand him the check. what can I do to make him to give me a receipt for my rent law he has to if I requested...

13 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Usually a cancelled check IS your receipt.

    That's really crazy that a landlord has to give a receipt for a check. Usually receipts are for cash or money orders only.

    I would double check that law if I were you. If you are in the wrong, you will probably owe late fees and court costs when your landlord takes you to court for non-payment of rent.

  • Skip
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    What's the big fuss all about. Pay the rent with a check. Once the check is cashed your bank either send you a list of checks they cashed for you or they will return your cashed checks.

    Either way this is ample proof that you have paid your rent. A cancelled check will stand up in any court of the land. You can tell if a check as been cashed or not.

    Look at the bottom right side of the check, it should reflect the exact amount of the check. The bank as further proof stamp the back of the check, so with those two items being in place the cancelled check is your receipt.

    Why are you sweating the landlord for a receipt? All business people use checks to conduct business and as proof.

    I hope this has been of some use to you, good luck.

    "FIGHT ON"

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    He sounds like he doesn't want to pay taxes on his passive rental income. No big deal. It's his life.

    Some already mentioned that you should always pay with a check. That works if you actually get your cancelled checks back from the bank. If you want a receipt, you can pay with money orders, too, and write an explanation on each one "Jan 2007 rent", "Feb 2007 rent", etc.

    I don't think you have any right to demand a receipt, and at the same time you have a financial burden to pay the man. So you might just not get them, and you have to live with that.

    On the other hand, you probably don't need receipts. Legally, you are bearing very little of the risks, and just the fact that you live in this place is consideration enough. In event of any action against you, the burden of proof is not on you, and all you need to do is show that you make your payments and the place is kept in reasonable condition according to whatever a reasonable person would do.

    In a courtroom, he's going to look like a scoundrel evading taxes. The cards will be stacked against him before you ever appear before a judge.

    (If you really want to toast his cookie, if you operate a business out of your home, like a day care, mail-order or anything else, send him a 1099 at the end of the year. The IRS always gets a copy and will expect to see the rent income on his return.)

  • 1 decade ago

    First, always pay with check or money order. Second, insist on a receipt. Deliver your rent in person, and refuse to hand it over until he has acknowledged receipt. Or, you can send it certified mail or delivery confirmation, if you must mail your rent, so there is evidence your payment was delivered, even if he loses it and never cashes it. The fact that he is refusing makes him sound suspicious, so it is better to spend a couple extra bucks a month to cover yourself than be sorry about it later.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I would suggest to you paying rent by check or money order. The check would be your best bet for having a receipt. You really don't want to create issues for the landlord because he can find ways to give you issues unfortunately. I think you should go to the office or his home and continue to ask for the receipt until he just simply gives you one. Please, from now on, pay with a check.

    Source(s): Director;Baltic Rentals, Pennsylvania
  • wishon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    he isn't required to offer a reciept while the tenants pay via verify, as a results of fact the tenants would have a reciept interior the kind of a cancelled verify. With a funds order or funds, the owner is had to offer a receipt, as a results of fact the tenants won't have the different sort of reciept. the owner has the nicely suited to require the specific form(s) of fee. Its like diners that basically will take funds; even inspite of the shown fact that, for this reason, the owner will settle for basically tests.

  • 1 decade ago

    Make a point to NEVER pay in cash.... ALWAYS pay in a check. Technically, your cancelled check will be a receipt. Keep good track that all your checks clear the bank and keep copies of them in a file. I am not sure he has to give you a receipt if you pay him by check. Check with a real estate attorney on that one.

    Good Luck!


  • 1 decade ago

    im not sure where you are, but in Australia i would go to the Tennacy Advocacy Board and ask their advice. They will no doubt give you the Bi Laws that are relevant in your state/county where i would type a letter to the landloard.

    My landloard sent me a letter for a rent increase after i moved in to my place after 2 weeks when im on a 12 month contract. After contacting the Tennacy Advocacy board who gave me the right information and laws I sent him a letter with the info gained and he responded by telephone stating i recieved a letter that was sent out to all tennants and I was not meant to recieve one. Conclude the letter by stating that you would appreciate this matter sorted out within 7 days through a formal written response. Good luck with your problem

  • ramman
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    If you are paying by check, then the cancelled check is your receipt. NEVER pay cash without getting a receipt!!!!!!!!!

    Source(s): Former property manager and current real estate agent.
  • 1 decade ago

    I work in the apartment industry. What I would do is make a copy of the check, before you hand it in. When you go to hand it in have him/her sign the copy of your dated check. Always keep records if you are handing in the check. In my company, the residents send their checks directly to a lock box at a bank and it posts to their account instantly. That way there is no middle man. Also, see if there is a way to get on an autopay program so that you have documentation of every transaction. I hope this helps. Also, look at your lease to see if it says anything in there. Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.