Beside the Vietnam Conflict, when were other times did the US have to use the draft?

Favorite Answer

Actually, the draft has been used from the Revolutionary War until the mid to late 1970s.

Many of the men who fought in both world wars were draftees, as well as Korea, Vietnam, the Civil War.

Throughout the vast majority of US History young males had to register for the draft. It was a crime to vendor out without your draft card. This requirement heightened the drama of the draft card burnings in the 1960s and 70s.

At times it was amusing. I entered the Air Force in October 1972 and one of the young men with me received his draft notice even though he was already in the Air Force (which has never drafted). As I recall we all celebrated his drafting with a Lackland Cocktail (a swig of alcohol laden cough syrup with a coke chaser).

• tom

the military had been drafting since at least wwI. The draft was stopped after the Vietnam war.

Conscription was used specifically for the War Between the States, WW I, and WW II. Unlike the previous drafts, which went away after the wars, conscription continued after WW II despite the downsizing, a curious mix of discharging men who were willing to serve and drafting men who didn't want to, and continued for about 35 years.

• Mr Ed

Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korean War.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if people were drafted to fight in the War of 1812 (the one Canada won).

WWII. I don't care what anybody says. There are people drafted all the time official or not.

I know of a few.

Civil war

WWI

WWII

Koren war

And Vietnam

Lincoln was the madman who started the draft , he was a dictator and every Black confederate prisoner taken to Union Prison camp in Illinois was executed on the spot by this humanitarian

during world war2

WWII