louie
louie asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

asian filter shrimp and goldfish?

i'd like to buy a couple of asian filter/bamboo/wood shrimp for my aquarium.

im most concerned about my goldfish. will it be okay? the shrimp are too large for them to eat, but im sure they can still do some damage if they wanted to. but should they want to? my goldfish currently live in a tropical tank with other tropical fish, and they dont ever bother any of the other fish. sooo....

should i expect the same treatment with the shrimp?

others in the tank: serpae tetras and rosy barbs, will they cause any problems with the shrimp?

Favorite Answer

Filter shrimp need warm water and super clean conditions, I have two of them and I can always tell when nitrates are rising as they start to lose their redish color. If the water gets too bad I have heard they will try to jump.

Goldfish are cold water fish that will not live a long life in warm water. As said above they dirty their water very fast and will make the shrimp die unless many water changes per week.

It won't work, bamboo shrimp are tropical and goldfish are coldwater. Shrimp are also very sensitive and goldfish are too messy for sensitive tankmates.

By keeping goldfish in a tropical environment you are causeing the goldfish to suffer. Shame on you.

Go ahead and put them in there. You will either have shrimp running around or the other fish will have lunch. Either way it will be nice to watch.

Yes, just throw the shrimps into your fish tank. Don't worry too much !!!

it might cause some problems because when i tried it my shrimp became all hurt and sick and died

oh,brother!! rofl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!