Before slamming down a beer at Oktoberfest, you commonly hear shouts of 'ziggy zaggy ziggy zaggy oy oy oy'

what is the meaning of this?

Favorite Answer

its a blessing

You know, I saw a funny show about 20 years ago where two men (in Germany) were singing this..and it wasn't ziggy-zaggy, it sounded more like "sicky, socky, sicky, socky, oy, oy, oy." Recently when my husband and I saw this on a current commercial, we both started laughing, because we had seen and heard it so many years ago!

Oy oy oy is Yiddish for yes, I believe. The 'ziggy zaggy' means nothing. I would say, "Dank für dieses wundervolle deutsche Bier sind wir gesegnet worden, um zu genießen! Danke!"

Ziggy war yell comes from the Zulu tribe. Its a fight chant. Many schools and colleges have used this for many years. Some what like the Notre Dame fight song that gets everyone all pumped up."

Perhaps Central's greatest tradition is that of "Ziggy." It is the symbol of our spirit, and is actually a Zulu war cry. Mr. P.C. Winther, one of our best beloved teachers until his retirement in about 1963, was born and raised in The Union of South Africa. He introduced the yell to Central in about 1925.

Ziggy" means "Kill em," and South Bend Central certainly kept up the tradition that Mr. Winther started so long ago.

Over the years there were some "minor" changes to the yell.

Wot a load of bollox some of the answers are.

Zulu war chants, my ****. It didn't mean anything.

I first heard it at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's home ground, in the late 60s.

They are just nonsense words shouted at the end of drinking songs. It is easier to get these words out than some of the more difficult German toasts when drunk.

The Man Show!

Source(s): Comedy Central

I say "Chimichanga, chimichanga oy oy oy!!"

You can say whatever your little drunk heart desires.

*hiccup*

It's from ''The Mens Show'' of about 10 years ago.

Source(s): LIFE.. Oh yeah...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Another beer!