What is the scientific term for having a natural white stripe in your hair?

Kind of like ROgue from X-Men. But I think it actually is a dominant gene.

Favorite Answer

Poliosis is the name given when someone has a small patch of white hair. While this patch occurs most often along the forehead (so-called white forelock), it can involve hair anywhere on the body and can happen anytime in life. When healthy people have it, this simply means there is no pigment in the hair and skin of that involved area. Poliosis can also occur with medical conditions such as piebaldism, a genetic disease with single or multiple white patches of hair. In this case there usually are other family members with similar white patches of hair. Marfan's syndrome and Waardenburg's syndrome are other genetic disorders where this condition is noticed. Vitiligo is a skin condition that destroys melanocytes. This can affect the hair, but usually involves the skin as well. If your child also has white patches of skin, this may be vitiligo.

• Christine5 years agoReport

I have this too, except mine is like Bonnie Raitt since I m red-headed. From my experience, no hair dye will work on them. I can use henna to sort of stain the white streaks a little closer to my natural color. It doesn t seem to have any health issues attached to it.

I had a natural white streak form - starting with 2 hairs, when I was only 24. The hairs there kept coming in white (not silver) until the stripe was probably at least two inches wide. Solid white. The rest of my hair was very dark. Dark dark brown, almost black. & I always wore my hair long. For years it nicely tucked under. As I got older it was at surface and always noticeable. In fact, became "known" around here for it. I am not sure why. & No one else in my family has had that at least not like an actual stripe. About three years ago, a smaller one started on the left. I don;t count it as much as my hair would now be all salt and pepper if I did not now occasionally dye the body of my hair. ---I leave out the original strip and now the new little one, as everyone says "Whatever you do, don;t get rid of the stripe!" lol. Not sure. Almost felt "marked". Younger even though not that young, people called me Rogue. Now I have gotten Cruella DeVille (not nearly as complimentary) but I am almost 50 now.

White Streak In Hair

White-Stripe-in-your-hairitus.

• im not sure but all i know is i have an unusual light streak in my hair similar to rogues but my hair isnt that dark any way i think its called a natural streak or somethink like that

That's awesome! (I'm serious) But I don't exactly know if that's a dominant gene or a recessive one. Ask a doctor or something if you want more information on that.

Does it Mean that you would have secret Skunk powers, to defend yourself with a sudden spray of skunk oil?

I dont know what it's called though, sorry.

Rogue is pretty cool, still.....

like the kid in the 6th sense?? that was caused by post traumatic stress disorder??? i'm not sure what it's called.....

but if you just have streaks, it's probably just highlights....

Ummm, don't you just dye your hair? I haven't even heard of anything where your hair is one color and another color naturally.