I'mgetting a new video card with DVI outputs, but my monitor only has RGB...?

So, do I just get a DVI to RGB (15 pin I think) connector? It is an Envision 17 inch flat screen lcd (I know, why make an LCD flatscreen without DVI ins? Doesn't make sense...). What I would like to know is can I simply purchase a DVI to RGB cable and be done with it, or is it harder than that for some odd reason...

By the way, I bought it off of Ebay, and I think I am getting the card, just by itself, so I assume Ill have to go buy an adapter...

Favorite Answer

You'll have to find out if the DVI output on the video card includes "analog video". Usually, DVI that includes Analog is called "DVI-I" or "DVI-A". If it is "DVI-D" then it is digital only, and you will not be able to use a simple cable. In that case, you will need a Scan Converter to convert it from digital to RGB.

Also, if you have "DVI-I" you should still be able to plug a "DVI-A" into it with no problem. The "-I" version has both digital and analog, but since RGB is analog only, you won't be using the digital anyways.

Below are some links that may prove helpful.

Video cards with only DVI outputs always come with the adapter for VGA monitors.

i think you are confusing RGB with VGA. yeah, the card should have an adapter.