Need help in knowing how to download just email headers? Need some instructions?

i use outlook 2003.. with a wireless connection, it becomes tough to download my outlook emails, as it hangs... a freind told me over the phone to change options to download headers... how do i do that?.. will it make it faster??...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to check the Send/Receive Options in your Outlook.

Check the instructions:

You can configure Outlook to download the email message header only or to download the complete mail message including attachments. There are benefits and drawbacks to either setting.

For example, if you are using a slow Internet connection (e.g., dialup), Outlook will load faster if you configure it to download the headers only. However, while in this mode, you will lose the ability to perform an advanced keyword search on your Inbox to look for text in the body of a message.

Follow these steps to configure this setting:

Select Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups.

The Send/Receive Groups dialog box appears. Click Edit.

The Send/Receive Settings - All Accounts dialog box appears. Select the Inbox under your cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu to highlight it, and then select the appropriate radio button to Download headers only or Download complete item including attachments.

Note: Downloading complete messages for any other folder(s) that you are subscribed to (e.g., CMU News) is NOT recommended.

Click OK and then Close to close the open dialog boxes.

Select the Send/Receive button to have Outlook process the change.

Hope this solves the issue.... i faced the same problem, and found the following site helpful

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, e-mail headers have noting to do with slow email.

Actual if you right click on an email in the From, Subject, Received Window; select Properties and Details; you'll see the full header.

It sounds like you may need to troubleshoot your wireless connection. Does it work better if you move the PC next to the Wireless Router? If it does you may be able to fix the problem with an antenna enhancement or maybe just by pointing the antenna in a different direction. What speed does your wireless connect at? Hopefully it's 54 MHz. Do you have a cordless phone in the house? They often operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequency band as wireless routers. Try unplugging the base station and see if it helps.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

• 1 decade ago

You can't read the emails if you just have the headers. Outlook shouldn't hang downloading hundreds of emails at a pop, so if it is perhaps you should reinstall it or check your wireless contection. Outlook can tell you everything you need to know about headers if you just click on help from the menu and type in headers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.