Swelling After A Cast Is Removed....Is It Normal???

My son broke his wrist two days after Thanksgiving and the cast was removed yesterday. Is it normal for the wrist to be swollen and to hurt? He says it doesn't hurt real bad, but is does hurt some. He had a Green Stick Fracture. Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes totally normal. The cast keep the swelling down so now the fluids can build back up. The soreness is most likely from being in one position for a while. If however after a week it is still swelling and sore you may need to take him back to the doctor to rule out any problems.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Swelling In Cast

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Swelling After A Cast Is Removed....Is It Normal???

My son broke his wrist two days after Thanksgiving and the cast was removed yesterday. Is it normal for the wrist to be swollen and to hurt? He says it doesn't hurt real bad, but is does hurt some. He had a Green Stick Fracture. Thanks!

Source(s): swelling cast removed normal: https://shortly.im/ZB06x
  • 1 decade ago

After the cast was removed, it should have appeared smaller than the other arm. It doesn't take long for it to get back to normal size. YES it will hurt quite a bit since the muscles and bones weren't allowed to move inside of the cast. After a few days it should feel almost like new unless he bumps it accidentally, otherwise it could bring him to his knee's.

Source(s): Been there done that.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes this is completely normal. The blood flow is returning and the area will be more sensitive for a couple of days. If it still hurts after 3 days, go back to the doc.

• 4 years ago

Get a second opinion. I think you may have ruptured a blood vessel or caused a different sort of injury that doesn't show up on exrays.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

See the link below...also use the search feature at the site to find other medical information.

It may have healed incorrectly...take him back to the doctor and tell him about his complaints of pain. Pain is a warning of irregularities...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

thsi is normal due to the fact that it hasnt moved in a while. just give it some time.

Source(s): i had a buckle fracture in my wrist and lots of other injuries
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.