Tuesday is mourning day. I've never heard of this holiday before..?

is it new and what does it really mean? We have Memorial Day to remember the ones that have gone on before and Veterans Day for the Military. What's this one for? It must be a Federal holiday because according to my understanding there will be no mail service. Anyone?

Favorite Answer

A national Day of Rememberance, declared by the sitting president for when a previous president has passed away

Tuesday has been declared a national day of mourning for former President Gerald Ford, which in effect extends an already unusually long holiday season.

President Bush and Gov. Rick Perry have ordered nonessential federal and state offices to close Tuesday. What does "nonessential" mean? It was unclear, because those offices were closed over the weekend due to the holiday.

On Tuesday:

Mail will not be delivered.

Banks will be open.

The University of North Texas will be closed (except the library), but no other state school in the area had posted notice of being closed Tuesday.

Most municipal offices will be open. But garbage service may be delayed because of the New Year's holiday. Consult this Web site or your city for details.

Buses and trains will run on their regular schedule.

This, however, looks like it is only applicable to TEXAS.

It is a one time thing.

• magpie

It might be because of former President's Gerald Fords funeral. Monday is the holiday for New Years. Mourning will be for federal employees. Most people will have to work. It will be a one-off, just this year, next year January 2nd will go back to being un-mournful

This mourning day is ridiculous. The only people who benefit by it are postal workers. I've been waiting for a prescription to come in the mail and it didn't come Saturday so that means I have to wait until Wednesday now so I'll have a day without my meds (as I will run out on Monday) because the president died and the postal workers don't get enough perks already.

Its not really a holiday, they just set aside one day of the week for the nation to mourn the passing of a president.

Tuesday is considered "Mourning Day" in the U.S. because that is former President Ford's funeral day. many government and federal workers are off. I know because my dad is one of them. it's ONLY for this year: Jan. 2, 2007 and is ONLY for the state of Texas.

Source(s): News, Texas citizen

genuinely!! My canines do extremely foul farts, unquestionably each and every canines i've got ever been close to that has farted has smelled extremely undesirable. greater often than not i think of they do quiet farts, i've got in no way heard a noisy one and that i dont think of the intensity of scent has something to do with the size of the canines. i've got had a German Sheperd, a Border Collie, a Kelpie, a Maltese, a Shih Tzu and a Dachsund, all of them do quiet yet stinky farts. Oh, they have all had diverse diets too. additionally I worked for and were in contact with for the RSPCA for 18 years heard many diverse canines do their business employer. in no way heard a cat, yet I even have smelt it! All animals do it, comparable to us - if it has a bowel, it will fart. wish that facilitates.

Tuesday is national day of rememberance of President Ford. He died recently. This does not continue for future years.

• mo

Its for past president Ford, and I'll be mourning too, cause I got to go back to work!

For the death of President Ford.