mizchulita asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

When you get a perm, how long does it take before you have to get another one to keep it up?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

typically speaking about 6 months is about the length of time, when most hair is able to re perm. It of course depends upon the rate of hair growth,and health of the hair. people who get regular perms should have their hair cut about every 6-8 weeks and apply salon quality shampoos and conditioners to help maintain the hair's health. Also recommended is a leave in or deep conditioner treatment a least once a week depending on hair type. good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no you dont need a perm touch up after 6-8 weeks. I had a perm about 5 weeks ago and I can barely tell if my hair even grew yet. I only get one once a year, but I wont get another, so I dont have to worry about it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've heard about every 5-6 months you should have your hair re-permed if you want to maintain a curly look. You probably don't want to do so sooner than that as it is damaging your hair already and doing so sooner could cause hair loss. If that happens, you won't have to deal with perm rods but instead clippers buzzing off what's left of your hair. Be careful!!!

• 1 decade ago

it depends. If you go to a professional they can last over 6 months. mine did and I could still see traces of it over a year later. doing the at home ones last a few weeks maybe a month and they really damage your hair even more. I also think it depends on the type of hair you have because the thickness. length, and curly/straight affect the results. longer hair weighs perms down so they are harder to keep. I know this from experience. my hair is straight but my family has curly hair so I can get a wave pretty easily. talk to your stylist because they know your hair and can tell you better than me!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • It depends on how fast your hair grows. So you might want to get it done again in 3-6 months or when you start to notice that at your roots it's different from the permed hair.

Source(s): me
  • 1 decade ago

you should generally wait at least 4 weeks......getting perms to often like every 2-3 weeks will damage ur hair.....but all in all you will be able to tell when u need another due to new growth

• shabo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

it depends on your hair and how fast it grows and what type of hair u have and hw curly u got it but i recommendat u deep condition your hair prior to getting a perm so it will be healthy to get another 1

• 1 decade ago

Every 6 months to a year. Just depends on your hair. If you do it to often it will damage your hair.

• 1 decade ago

If u have black hair like 3 weeks if ur hair is really thick maybe 2 weeks

• 1 decade ago

it usually takes 6-8 weeks before you have to get a touch up on your hair.just make sure that you keep your hair moisturized and conditioned.

Source(s): i have hair experience
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.