Does anyone know what imitation crab meat is made of?

Real crab meat is good, but imitation is NASTY! In my opinion anyway, lol. But I can't help wondering what exactly is it made of? Anybody got any ideas?

Favorite Answer

It's made of surimi. This is a Japanese name for a white flavourless substance with the consistency of fish or crab meat, made from cheap fish. Artificial flavour and colour are added so you can make artificial crab, prawns or lobster from it. I don't think it tastes much like the real thing, but it's much cheaper, has a similar texture and most of the nutritional value.

Imitation Crab meat is made from a fish called Red Snapper

It's made from dyed and flavored Pollock or other white-fleshed fish.

It's OK in strongly-flavored dishes like the cream cheese and cocktail sauce appetizer, but for something like crab cakes, I prefer the real thing.

White fish, some kind of binder, and crab flavoring (artificial or natural, depending on the brand).

Check the ingredient label.

• sapboi

Its made of a fish called pollok and some other flavors and additives, but its not to bad...

White fish.

~~~a less expensive fish. I have a packet in my fridge,,,it says made from whitefish. and yes,,,it doesnt taste like crab,,,,tastes like white fish,,,,,

almost any white fish like Pollock

I guess it's the seafood worlds equivalent to hot dogs/balony...lips and a***oles....eeeew always freaks me out

• ?

Pollock. some sort of fish.