Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

how long should i wait after eating a meal before sleeping?

i know its common to feel sleepy after eating, but how long should i wait till i can sleep? i don't want all the stuff i ate to turn into fat...

Favorite Answer

I've been speaking with my dietitian about this, and she has told me that "when your body is at rest, your metabolisim is slower then when your awake."

When I've asked several nurses and dr's, they have agreed. It may only be a bit slower, but it's still slower.

Most have recommended waiting at least one hour. Your stomach doesn't finish digesting food for 4 hours, and it can take from 24-48 hours to clear your body.

If your tired, I would reccomend a cat nap, they have been suggested to help improve digestion, and metabolisim.

Best of Luck!

Source(s): Personal experiance, Nurse Bennett RN, all others listed
  • ?

That depends on how much you eat and what kind of workout you are going to do. I like to wait at least an hour after eating. If you are doing heavy cardio make sure your food is completely digested. Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink, but you might want to try whey protein shakes to maximize your gains ( you could even mix some whey powder into chocolate milk).

• George

After you eat a full meal its best to wait 2 hours before you lay down and go to sleep.

Doesn't matter really. Its nothing but an old myth that you'll gain weight if you go to bed on a full stomach. You might be very uncomfortble and not able to get that o' so cozy spot, but it will not effect you're weight. That is as long as you are not a lazy body :p

it all depends on how sleepy you are. But under normal circumstances i would wait two hours before going to bed. This gives the food time to digest and flow into your intestines.

It doesn't matter in terms of weight loss. Calories are calories and they will be burned at one time or the other. I think it has to do with whether you are comfortable sleeping on a full stomach.

As long as it takes to fall asleep. You may get indegestion, but it has NO impact on fat created in your body. Anyone that says otherwise is completely wrong.

AT LEAST 2 HOURS