Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

How old should my children be before I tell them that Pluto is just a dwarf planet?

My therapist says 16, but I am concerned that may be too young.

Favorite Answer

I think someone slipped you a Mickey. Perhaps seeing the Doc will help make you less Grumpy and a bit more Happy about the fact that pluto has found its true identity. Hey.... being a dwarf is nothing to Sneezy at. It's not like its some Sleepy little planet with no purpose. Ok so its a little Bashful and had distanced itself from the other planets by miles and miles and miles. It's still important. So don't let your children go around being all Dopey about the facts. There will be Minnie more planets they can learn about later. :)

• Mike

Yeah, that whole thing where Pluto used to be a planet and got it's status reduced is really scary. If Pluto can get demoted, what other sort of disasters could happen. they'll have nightmares, keep the whole Pluto thing to yourself. They'll learn it from their friends when they're old enough.

By the way....Pluto has become a buzzword.To get "Plutoed" means getting "riffed", or demoted at your job.What an ignominious end for such a great little [former] planet.

• Benji

Yes, I can see your therapist has a lot of work to do with you. But you don't want your kids to learn their astronomy on the filthy streets. Next thing you know they'll be gazing at eclipses with an unprotected viewfinder.

Either when their teacher still insists that Pluto is still a planet, or as soon as they discuss the Solar System in school.

Or maybe as soon as they know how to talk.

Or maybe...Now?

It's entirely your choice.

• ?

The schools will get them with a planetary-ed if you don't break it to them first! Besides, I'm sure they already know, with all the hype and media, and the Discovery Channel...its a perverted world out there....way out there.

Some truths are so awful the young should never learn of them

• melark

Never, Pluto is not dwarf planet, it is a comet...

What??!? You mean.......oh, no.......it can't be true, it just can't be........... I'm devastated.

Gee thanks, you've ruined my entire new year and it's only just started. Now I have to call MY therapist.

Next thing I know you'll be trying to tell me Santa Claus isn't real.

What's wrong with telling them now?