Can you safely wear your contacts underneath today's swim goggles?

The designs they use today seem more water tight than when I was a kid. The kind I wore as a kid kept out the chlorine but not the water.

Favorite Answer

i wore my contacts in the pool without goggles and i was fine, so i think you should be okay.

My wife used to wear contacts sometimes when swimming competively in high school.

Just a note though about the chlorine, your goggles didn't keep out the chlorine if the water came in. The chlorine is in the water and I have never heard of chlorine filtering goggles.

Yes you can wear your contacts while using goggles. I wear contacts and i am around water all the time. I am a swim instructor, lifeguard and I was on the diving and swim team. what i would reccommend is making sure your goggles do not leak. I have had some problems where my contact once fell out while wearing goggles but if you have the goggles tight and on properly it should be no problem.

I'm not quite sure about the "safety" of swimming with contacts in, but with a pair of good goggles and much precaution, I manage to do it nearly everyday. I still have problems sometimes, however, when the goggles leak and chlorinated water seeps into my eye. Chlorine isn't good on soft contact lenses, for sure. And warped contact lenses aren't good on your soft eye either. This probably only happens to me because I swim for 3 hours straight, with little time in between sets to fix my leaky goggles, so if you're going to swim for a short amount of time, I'm sure you're going to be fine.

Source(s): 9 years of competitive swimming
  • linzey

i'm a swimmer and that i do placed on contacts. I merely placed my goggles on suitable over them. the only subject is you ought to make useful your goggles are tight and combat merely suitable, or water might seep with the aid of; and you're able to desire to lose one. attempt wearing a swim cap over the goggle straps to help keeep them on effective and tight.

yes, i do almost everyday. i am a high school swimmer. just be careful when you dive.