Anxiety Ridden Jack Russell?

My 12 year old male jack russell has started to cry and whine when left alone for too long. My moms fed up with his consist barking and whining and is ready to get rid of him. I think he only does this because we have moved and he's afraid, but I am not sure.

I must add... My moms a foster parent and can't have the slight noise made after 8:00 at night for fear of waking the children. We're at the end of our rope with Petie.

Is there anyway to treat this anxiety WITHOUT medication? She doesn't want to spend anymore money on things that wont help cure this problem.

I should of added, we DO love our dogs and always will. We have gone to hell and back with them. Its just, we moved into a house thats a quarter of a million dollars and petie pees all over. Since dad left, he's done this lots. We just dont know how to treat this problem...

Favorite Answer

My answer? Keep the dog. Get rid of the foster kids.

Im serious. Youve had the dog for 12 years, getting rid of it would be cruel.

I HATE people who get pets and then get rid of them when they arent convenient or cute anymore.

You've got to consider he is getting old, 12 years in dog years is 84 years. He has been disturbed by the move and need to to comfortable in his new home. Some dogs outside may be barking that you and your family cannot hear but he can and also sirens hurt their ears when we can't hear them at all. If you can let Petie sleep with you that might help and he will feel comfortable and wanted.

Any sudden changes in behavior in a pet can be a sign of illness. This is especially true of older pets.

I suggest a trip to the vet. Get blood work and a urine analysis done. It will tell you how well the organs are working and if there are any unseen problems. Really, it's not that expensive.

Keep in mind that dogs go senile like humans, and a vet can give you advise on how to help him.

A 12 year old dog with a sudden change in his behaviour obviously needs to be taken to the vet. A change in behaviour very often has a physical cause. If your mother doesn't want to spend any more money on this dog I sincerely hope you never get another one - the dog deserves better than this.

It's the nature of the whole breed, they are super smart and need more to keep them occupied, some people will get them a less-smart breed for a companion, or you need intensive doggy day care or to play with the dog, teach it tricks and review them every night, etc.

My Jack Russel is named Petie as well.:]

If he's lonely, you could try leaving music playing where he sleeps. Or he could be sick.

Seems to me that both you and your mom don't love your dog at all....

Why did you get one in the first place?