what will i do???

Happy New Year! I got a laptop as a Christmas gift from my dad. I have brothers who often get my things without permission so one of the first things I did was put a user (my name) and password. When I turned the laptop on again, there was only one user (my name) and it said my password was wrong! I tried it again and using different combinations but still same result. I think fate must be playing with me or something. Does anyone know any way in which I can access my computer as a Guest/I can remove my password since it doesn't work/I can return to the old settings. Please help me! I'm really scared because my dad will get mad. Please.... Even if I have to install the CDs again as a last resort it's ok... But it's better if I can just return to the old settings... Please reply soon before my dad looks for my laptop.... Thank you...

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, the only way to do this would be to log on as Administrator and change the password.

You might want to try trying your password with caps-lock on, as you may have had it on when you set your password. Also, keep in mind that your password is case sensitive (meaning that 'PASSWORD' is different than 'Password').

If you have to, and know the Administrator password, you can log on as the Administrator and change your password. To do this, press CTRL + ALT + DEL at the login screen where it lists the names. Enter the username as 'Administrator' (without quotes) and the password as whatever the Administrator password is. Once the computer starts up, click 'Start', 'Run', and type 'control userpasswords2' (without quotes). Select the account you want to reset and click the 'Reset Password' button.

If you don't know your Administrator password, you're pretty much stuck. The only thing to do would be to wipe everything clean and reinstall it.

Be careful when downloading tools that claim to "recover passwords." Many of them are viruses and malicious software in disguise.

Good luck!

Source(s): 6 years IT experience