Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

are possums legal here?

r possums legal in Az?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"The Game and Fish Department said STO are legal in Arizona.

In 09/2004, a representative from customer service of the "Game and Fish Department (phone: 602-942-3000) said that while the opossum genus "Didelphis" is restricted live wildlife, "Monodelphis" is not on their list of restricted animal.

Arizona Laws Governing Private Possession of Exotic Animals • ARIZ. COMP. ADMIN R. & REGS. R12-4-406 - Restricted Live Wildlife

A. Mammals listed below are "restricted live wildlife" as defined in R12-4-401. The taxonomic classification from Volumes I and II of Walker's Mammals of the World, Fifth Edition, 1991, and not including any later edition, shall be the authority in the following designations; a copy is on file with the Office of the Secretary of State and is available for inspection at any Department office.

All species of the genus Didelphis. Common name: American opossums.

Note: The large North American opossum is "Didelphis virginiana", our STO is "Monodelphis domestica" and therefore is not mentioned as restricted."

STO=Short-tailed oppossum

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Playing possum or eating possum? We always make possum pie, but that's what you call an apple pie with milk in the filling and no crust on top (no possum). Possum are all teeth back to about their tail, and don't make good pets, but they claim they are a white meat something like rabbit or chicken?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I live in Ohio, they arent here. In fact i saw the police arrest 3 of them that were hanging around from a tree in a park today. If you are a possum in Dayton, dont let the sun go down on you!

• 1 decade ago

In the U.S. you can get a license to foster permanently injured birds of prey and orphaned herbivorous mammals. Harboring carnivorous mammals is strictly forbidden, as they may carry rabies. My father has been a logger since I was born, and we have had a lot of orphans. We always sent the ones we couldn't rehabilitate and release to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. They would not accept carnivorous animals including opossums.

Source(s): Many Experiences
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

as long as you give them a good home and lots of love im sure they would let you keep em, dont just keep em at home though take em for walks to parks and stuff on a leash and buy em a toy dog collar so he can be a happy possum

• 1 decade ago

i dont think that possums are legal anywhere cause there ugly looking animals.

• 1 decade ago

not in AZ without a green card

• 1 decade ago

Any wild animal is not legal to keep on your premises in any country that I know of. They can also carry rabies!

• 1 decade ago

legal or not, if you take care of it forget the law.I had a pet raccoon no one new about it raised her till she was old enough to be on her own

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know, but I cannot imagine that one would make a good pet. They are unfriendly, and have sharp teeth which they like to use.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.