Is it possible to combine 2 computers into one and if so, how?

I want to share processing power, RAM, etc. between 2 computers; more specifically, motherboards with one mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Is this possible, and if it is, how can I set it up?

Favorite Answer

I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean.

If you just want to switch between two computers, controlling them with a single keyboard, mouse, and monitor then you want a "KVM switch."

If you mean that you want to offload processing on one machine to another, that's not generally done except in specialized fields like 3D rendering ("render farms"), web search (Google and Yahoo do this) and cluster supercomputing (which combines many commodity machines in a cluster to get supercomputer-level performance on the cheap). The latter is what it sounds like you want--but you don't really want that, as you wouldn't be asking this question here if you were in a field that requires that sort of thing. The closest a consumer is going to get is to make one of the machines a server that takes over any auxiliary responsibilities (DHCP, network shares, whatever) of the main computer, which probably isn't worth the trouble of setting up.

My recommendation is to take the best components from each computer, combining them into the best possible machine. RAM, especially, is a quick swap (if compatible) that really enhances performance.

• Back again, perhaps I'm in the wrong category in asking for a turntable. This is the first time using this neat system.

You can purchase what is called a kvm switch, this allows you to use a single monitor, mouse and keyboard for 2 or more computers.

I think what your trying to achieve is to run a parallel processing system, but PC's are not designed for this purpose.

No. You can purchase a dual processor motherboard(you can stick in two processors). However sharing in the manner you are describing it isnt really possible for what you want.

The comment beneath mine with the KVM swtich doesnt really offer a molding of computers. Its more of a method to use one keyboard/mouse/display for two computers. Its convenient but I dont think thats what you wanted.

• Well, thanks for the advice. It was a somewhat shallow interest and now I'm good to go. jay

No. The parts you have are not designed for that. Super computers such as the ones IBM builds are designed for what you want to do. Good thought though...

Source(s): Responsible for Desktop support, procurement, and disposal at a local university.