Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can anyone recommend a good book of essays?

I'm looking for a book of short 1-5 page essays which would make good reading before bed. Both humorous and serious books are fine, but I would prefer the essay topics to vary.

Favorite Answer

I think this is a really good question, and I'd like to find such a book myself. So I did some research on amazon.com and came up with the following possibilities:

First, don't rule out anthologies of essays put together for English composition classes. Here are two that look interesting.

50 Essays: A Portable Anthology, 2nd ed., edited by Samuel Cohen, Bedford/St. Martins, $23.95, 528 pages.

One Hundred Great Essays (Penguin Academics Series), 2nd ed., edited by Robert DiYanni, Longman, $37.60, 864 pages.

Here is an anthology of quirky stories from the Wall St. Journal. The average length is less than five pages.

Floating Off the Page: The Best Stories from The Wall Street Journal's "Middle Column", edited by Ken Wells, Free Press, $11.90, 304 pages.

Two great anthologies of essays of varying lengths are the following:

The Oxford Book of Essays, edited by John Gross, Oxford University Press, $15.26, 704 pages.

The Norton Book of Personal Essays, edited by Joseph Epstein, Norton, $20.70, 477 pages.

A form similar to the essay, but usually shorter, is the letter. This looks like an interesting anthology. It attempts to chronicle American history through the lens of individual letter writers:

Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999, edited by Lisa Grunwald and Steven J. Adler, Dial Press, $23.10, 752 pages.

My favorite letter writer is Flannery O'Connor:

The Habit of Being: Letter of Flannery O'Connor, edited by Sally Fitzgerald, FSG, $15.62, 624 pages.

Hope this gives you enough to go on!

You may try Francis Bacon's "Essays", his "Of Studies" is well-known and often-quoted in various articles. His narrative is precise and concise, you may skip the Latin parts (however, there're accompanying translations below for each page in a certain edition). For example:

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.

Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.

ANYTHING by David Sedaris is funnier than heck - and you will find me laughing out loud in bed. I really liked, "Me Talk Pretty One Day". It's the greatest book ever! He tells tales of his childhood - is often on NPR reading essays, makes appearances that sell out instantly, and is a GREAT storyteller of real life events. I guarantee you will love this, and all of his books!

Try Michele de Montaigne. He is the wisest person who ever lived. His essays range from short to long.

"The Best American Essays" series is always good. You can get the 2006, 2005,2004, etc. Go to Amazon and search around.

Well, for horror/sci-fi, John Saul is pretty good. Nora Roberts/JD Robb for romance/fantasy.