Why does a black screen come up instead of the website home page?

I'll be more specific:

It's the MTV.com page that always comes up as a black screen. I've tried entering the address in different browsers and I have clicked on numerous MTV sites listed on Yahoo, and no matter what my screen is just black! Any suggestions???

Favorite Answer

as another answerer stated, check to make sure you have a valid web page set as your home page in your browsers settings.

You didn't mention which browser you have, so its hard to say for sure if anything is wrong. I just recently installed Opera, which has a setting where you can choose whether new windows open with a web page (and which one you want) or open as balnk pages, so if you have Opera, (and maybe some other browsers have the same setting?) that could be why.

Go to whatever preferences or settings menu you can find in the browser and look for a place where you can enter a home page, once you find that, try a site you know works for you, like www.yahoo.com (or something else really common like google or microsoft) and then close and reopen your browser, you should get the sitre you chose, if not then there is likely something wrong and you might need to re-install the browser or try a different one.

It may be a problem with the web page you have set as your home page, change it to another website and see if it does the same.

I think you need to be more descriptive.