Niebla asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Which disorder is this?

My cousin is going to see a psychiatrist on Tuesday. Something seems to be wrong but we don't know what it is. She has been experiencing a lot of anxiety, social problems, compulsive behaviors, and odd sensitivities to light, sound, and touch. She is twelve years old. Has anyone here experienced these problems? What causes them? Only serious answers, please - we are very worried about her.

Thanks for all of your answers so far. I'm trying to scope it out on the web...maybe Asperger Syndrom is a possibility? Does anyone know anything about that?

Social phobias is a possiblilty...but she's not really shy - just has a hard time understanding people.

Favorite Answer

The range of probable disorders can be somewhere along the scope of forms of autism. There can be slight to severe symptoms whereby someone severely affected has a strict ritual to their day and say if even their bed would be moved it would cause them great distress to work through the anxiety. Asberger's Syndrome is a lessor form however still takes usually some intensive counseling along with psychotropic medications. What really clued me into that it isn't just a social anxiety disorder is because of the "odd sensitivities to light, sound and touch." People along the range of these disorders vary among individuals and it is imperative to always seek psychiatric assessment. I am a stay at home mom at this time, however worked as a psychotherapist (mostly with the seriously mentally ill), social worker and case manager. This is where I come from with a Master of Social Work degree and 10 years clinical practice.

Yes, these are common symptoms of depression. Wait before you say Huh? Depression can appear as physical ailments, when I was diagnosed I would have bet ANYTHING that there was something physically wrong with me to explain my headaches but after countless tests and xrays, cat scans and even an MRI, there was nothing wrong. I was (am ) suffering from depression. The good news is she has an excellent chance for full recovery with therapy and medication. I would not rule out physical problems 100% so ask to have her checked but don't worry if they can't find anything wrong. Good Luck

My fiance has these same problems and unfortunittly i have to agree with Scott H. She might have social phobias. Hey Schott H. Email me as well at death_eaters_untied@yahoo.co.uk

Look up 'Bi-polar Disorder'. Its all about being depressed one minute, then over excited the next. It doesnt take much to set of a trigger of emotions with Bi-polar. I think it also has something to do with sight and touch too.

The good news is that she has very noticeable symptoms. Likely they are all related. It could be something as simple as her diet. You are doing the right thing by going to a doctor sooner than later.

aspergers is usually diagnosed early. The students that I worked with were highly intelligent and had socialization issues.

• suz'

It sounds like she is depressed or may have some sort of anxiety or social disorder. It also sounds like she may have OCD. However, I am not a doctor. I wish you and family well.

yoooo sleep on ur abdomen and the issue respiratory sensation ought to be a results of sleep apnea. it extremely is a uncommon condition the place the dozing (subconscious concepts) cant adjust favourite respiratory without being unsleeping.

it sounds like a social phobea, i have al of the simtums but not the sencitivity to sound and light, i am 20 thought,

Sorry not sure

Scott H can you please e-mail me at pansi1951@yahoo.com

my son is 20 and he has social anxiety too I think