in movies or shows why do the phone numbers start 555?

Favorite Answer

Because there will never be a real person with that number, so that will slow people who decide to call the number will never reach anybody.

• crash

I found a very very detailed explanation at wiki, but I listed only a portion of it here:

"The phone companies started encouraging the producers of television shows and movies to use the 555 prefix for fictional telephone numbers, roughly during the 1970's". It goes on to explain how it may have been a promotional tool, to advertise products.

Also interesting is that "not all numbers that begin with 555 are fictional, and only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are now specifically reserved for fictional use".

You may be interested in reading more about it at the wiki site below:

It is because it is no real number when you call. When people see phone numbers in film they will call just to see if it is real. Years ago the numbers were sometimes real and the party with the number would get calls all day and night, so the 555 prefix is a no number at this time.

Source(s): Movie writer/designer

The phone numbers that are given usually lead to a directory assistance instead of a real number and the 555 is not an actual prefix, at least I don't think so.

In the real world we have the: "1-800" number, in the cinama world, it's "555". I think you are right on not giving away real numbers, because if they did, and they literally put down someone's phone number, that person would be getting tons of 'fan' calls to see if it works. There are no numbers that start with 555, so it's easy for the cinama to have it, and call that number their own.

To protect legitimate phone customers from harassing calls, which some demented soul would always make to a real number. The 555 prefix is not used for real numbers in any area code.

I think it's because no state uses the 555 number as the first three numbers. My thoughts only.

555-1212 is the american # to get any # in the united States, it's kinda like a national 411

"555" is a totally non-existant local area code, which is why you see it on ALL Hollywood films and TV shows. So it's safe to feature a realistic sounding/looking telephone number in a film, one that cannot be traced back to anyone....espicially one with a lawyer.

555 is a non-used prefix