Why does having a sense of humor seem to enrage so many people?

Favorite Answer

Having a sense of humour is not the problem that enrages people, it's not having sense in your humour where the problem is. You see when using humour you ought to have a sense of your audience, so that you know what jokes to use when, and how. Right joke + wrong crowd = rage; Wrong joke + right crowd = murmuring; wrong joke + wrong crowd=enraged people!!

Well, it depends on what you call humor. Some people refer to racism, sexism, personal attacks, and sarcasm as humor.

Now, assuming you are talking about things that are truly funny and do not harm others, then the people you encounter might simply not have an appreciation for humor.

Or, it could mean that the people have had a previous run-in with you. That happened to me in a Yahoo! Group. I made a joke about there being a need for eye-drops that get the queer out (in reference to particular television show titles). There was nobody there who'd be particularly offended by the attempt at humor. However, a poster started in on me with what seemed to be pro-gay rhetoric and then went on to accuse me of other things and tear me apart. Taking offense to the gay reference was expected, though most would write it off as tasteless and move on. The rest of the anger was not expected. She was bringing in previous experiences between us. So there are people who show rage for other reasons other than the joke.

Humor is great as long as it isnt at the expense of someone else, I myself think potty humor is the funniest, but many people find offense in crude humor. I think Seinfeld had the best sense of humor. He used just simple everyday things that everyone could relate to.

• Erato

Because it angers them that they don't have one.

It also depends on what your definition of having a "sense of humor" is. Everyone is different and therefore is sensitive to different things. But,...every once and a while you'll come across those people who seem to have had their ability to laugh surgically removed.

~Take Care~

There is a marked lack of irony on this site and people just don't see the humor, as they are not expecting it

It depends on how you use it. Some people call being cruel "having a sense of humor."

not too many out there know when to laugh or not..everybody takes the whole answering ability too seriously..im not talking about acting silly..but try and relax a little.."uptight" is the universal word now-a-days..as we enter the new year, answers will still be the same as it has always been..somewhat amusing/somewhat frusterating/somewhat boring..there's something for everybody

Ah! I hate when that happens..i say if they cant take a joke then there boring people who dont kno how to have fun...

humour if funny. except when people start thinking they are soo smart and humourest. but they're not. no1 likes a show off.