How much work do you have to do to make it through Grad School?

I was accepted for Gradschool, and starting my Masters in Information Technology on Jan 8, and im a bit worried. I found out that I have to maintain a 3.0 GPA every semester and an overall GPA of 3.5 to stick in the program. Im taking 8 credits, this semester thats two courses. I generally do well on IT courses, but still im worried at the high standards. Undergrad was shitty, i did OK but I could have done better. So my question, what should I expect on the grad program? is this a back breaking study times? Also Im 23, and im not working full time. Im concerened on how to act around with older people, as im thinking some of them might have families and more mature. I feel like im the immature kid and might stick out. I love participating in class, but i dont know if I should filter all my asnwers to make it sound "professional." Its odd really, Undergrad was real easy for me, i mean I felt like i didnt really do much to get a good grade.

Favorite Answer

Hmm. As long as you're not working full time, things won't be too bad.

I'm a grad student in English right now and I'm kind of a lazy bum. I found a professor with whom I'm in love (an old man) to be my thesis advisor first semester freshman year, but also have an assistantship to teach freshman English. I teach in place of a job. You get paid far better. Apply for assistantships next year.

But you are right about all the other students being old. I'm at a small Midwestern state university and about 95 percent of the grad students are married. I'm one of about three total in the English Department who aren't married.

Anyway, keep your nose to it and you'll do alright. I drink and read and write and eat junk food on my spare time and I've been doing well. In fact, my advisor is hopeful that I'll get my thesis published. I'm just not thinking that far ahead yet.

Best luck. You'll like it. You'll be the top man on campus. Go party and pick up some undergrad chicks.

• Lola

I'm in grad school now, and it is no different than undergrad. Yes the grades are somewhat more difficult to get and yes they do expect perfection. We have to have a 3.0 to graduate. I'm 4 classes into it and still have a 4.0 and I work full time. If you didn't have too much trouble getting excellent grades as an undergrad student you won't have too much trouble getting good grades now.

I don't think you'll find too many older folks like me (53) in your program and if you do, just remember, us old codgers are the ones who feel out of place. Best of luck to you.

Source(s): MSN in progress

There may be semesters that are more difficult than others. I've gone through grad school twice working full-time with a part-time job while taking 2-3 classes per semester. It was insane!!

Just keep up with your readings and don't procrastinate. Try to set up a schedule to keep you on track. The more mature students feel just as insecure as you do. They have been out of school much longer and it might be harder for them to get back into the swing of studying.

You might find grad school easier. It's really focused on your interests.

Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine.

Source(s): Personal experience.

Just as many have written--manage your time well because you are going to be EXPECTED to read not only the books on your syllabus, but you are EXPECTED to read all the books and chapters on reserve in the library that your professor will list.

Do not worry about trying to sound smart. It's the job of the teacher to educate you and that means that he or she is there to assist you in your formation as a scholar. If you answer and make a mistake, there will always be someone there to help you find the answer--network with other students--read, read, read and read--make notes of things you don't understand. Keep lines of commuincation between your professor open and your fellow students.

A lot of work and time. Don't do it if you have time management or organizational problems.