Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

i broke the key to my '89 ford festiva....?

the key to my car broke. I have both parts...if i take the key to lowe's or home depot can they make a new one? what else can i do without calling a locksmith?

Favorite Answer

If Lowes can't do it, a locksmith will have no problem. They have tools that you don't even need the key, and they can make you one. It won't be as cheap as lowes, but it will be right.

Source(s): I have been in the locksmithing business.

Just take the key to a locksmith!!! DO NOT trust a hardware store, they are not certified locksmiths!

My husband is one and can read the cuts on any key. They can either do it by code (machines they have) or use something called a 'punch' that punches out each notch.

If you take a cylinder in, they'll have to fit a key to it and this costs more money. Bringing in the key will be far less and you can try the key out- doesn't work, they'll fix the problem.

Go with someone who knows and it's their profession. Not someone who also sells flooring.

Or if u want and have the time pull the tumbler out get the sn number on it and call a locksmith. They can cut u a key from the number and have it waiting on u when u get there.

Try lowes, it only takes the end with the notches to make a key. If they can't do it try a lock smith, or someone else that makes keys. Call them first to save a trip.

i took the glove box tumbler out since the key worked that as well as my ignition... the lock smith made me a new key and it worked fine. also they can use both parts to make one you should be okay