Can any of these bullets people are shooting off come through my roof and kill me?

What a way to start the New Year. DEAD.

• Tim 47
    Favorite Answer

absolutely, I hope you call the police if you know who is discharging firearms to celebrate new year.

thank you for reminding those that might be unaware how dangerous this practice is.

your posting was timely and important.

No. The Myth Busters tested this and found that bullets, if fired up into the air, do not achieve much speed on the way back down and thus they are not a threat. Bullets fired closer to horizontal could be dangerous, however.

• gebobs

What goes up will come down and, in the case of a dense object like lead, nearly as fast as it started.

Fast enough to go through your roof, but not enough to go through both your roof and head. One or the other. Definitely not both.

• Technically they should come down with about as much force as they went up with (minus air resistance, which should slow them quite a bit), but honestly unless you've got a pretty flimsy roof, they should be slowed enough to not be all that deadly. Were you outside on the other hand, it might be a different story.

PS: This is religous how?

I doubt a bullet falling downward would be able to pick up enough momentum after it is shot in the air and partially melted to pierce much of anything, much less a roof.

I was just wondering the same thing. But with fireworks. And I live in Suburbia. wait, I hear the cop cars. OK I'm good. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

People are shooting bullets and you cannot be bothered to telephone the police??

• Jenny

Most certainly it can if it was shot in the air, all bullets shot in the air must come down somewheres.

• acgsk

Depends on what kind of bullet is being fired into the air.

• A

Actually, yes. That can and does happen. It is a very dangerous way to celebrate the New Year.