My husband is in the Navy. If we want a divorce, do we have to wait a year through a seperation first?

Favorite Answer

contact the Navy chaplaincy and inquire as to their rules

Like everyone else has already stated on here, it all depends on the state. I've been in the Navy for 17 years and I've seen a lot of marriages end without either person seeking help. Go to the Chaplain or Family Advocacy first, trust me on this one, it saved my marriage of 13 years!

CTO1(SW)

Source(s): Life's Experience

No, you do not have to go through a year of seperation. As long as it's a mutual agreement one of you can go to Guam and get a divorce within a week or two. I would speak to a JAG and find out if you have a pot to piss in or a window to through it out. Good luck! I don't know the website. You can try typing in divorces in Guam. I'm sure something will pop up.

Source(s): personal experience. www.guamdivorces.com

Most states require a year seperation only if there are minor children involved. Check the internet for your states laws or contact an attorney for the information.

No, go to the court house and file paperwork...It may take 6 months to a year for the divorce to become final, but no there is nothing in the Navy or your state that says you have to separate for a year before filing...

You will need to check with the state law you live in on the timeframe you need to go through a divorce. Generally, its more than 1 year's separation. I believe its 5 years.

Well buddy not experience to say so, but I think so

I just want to say I don’t now the reason why u want to but keep it in mind that it takes time to built and cultivate a relation and can be broken in few words …just take time and think over it before ur final countdown.. Happy New Year

If you are living in VA you have to be physically and legally separated for a year before you will be granted a divorce.

I don't think so. My husband is in the army and when we were living on base everyone was getting divorced left and right.

Not if you both agree to the divorce. It can be handled under state law, and go by that particular state's requirements.

no, it depends on what state you are in I was in virginia when we were filing, that state you have to be seperated 12 months if you have children, but 6 if not, but in the waiting process I moved to texas ands had to do my devorce there(cause the ahole wouldn't follow throu up there) in texas I had to reside in my county 6 months, so in the whole process it took me over a year, but good luck to you, it just depends on your state procedures