Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Blackness asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What to do?

My fiance suffers from social phobias. It is hard not lose my patience with her but we try to overcome it. Do any of you know what to do? Do any of you know what social phobia is? If you don't email me and i will fill you in.

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Must be hard for both of you..

    She should seek help from a psychologist - preferably one that specializes in social phobias.

    A common advice for overcoming most phobias is to gradually face your fears. So to cure the phobia you have to put yourself in the scary situation. But it needs to be done slowly. She could attend a small gathering with mostly close friends at first and then gradually attend bigger and bigger gatherings.

    I recommend the 'Overcoming' -series of books (all though I have not read this particular one).

    Check out "Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness" by Gillian Butler. These books are easy to read and understand and provide a guideline and exercises to work on the problem. They all use cognitive behavioral techniques that have worked really well for treating self-esteem issues and similar problems.

    Good luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes I know what it is and I'm sorry that she's going through this. It can be hard to deal with for both the person and their loved one, but if you really love her you need to be supportive of her. Is she getting any kind of treatment for this? If not, then suggest that she make an appointment with a therapist who can help her find ways to cope with this type of anxiety. Cognitive-behavior therapy is very useful in treating social anxiety. The central component of this treatment is exposure therapy, which involves helping people gradually become more comfortable with situations that frighten them. It may be good for you to go with her to the appointment and perhaps you can get some insight on ways to help her.

    Supportive therapy such as couples or family therapy to educate significant others about this disorder, is very helpful so this may be a good thing to do, but only if you're open-minded and willing to do this with her.

    Try not to be judging, let her know that you love her and be as supportive as you can. I wish you both the best of luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Your fiance has a serious problem. Now is not the time to be engaged. Let her get 'fixed' before marrying her. Never marry with the expectation that things will change in the future.

  • TeriR
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Make sure she's getting professional counseling. Check with her counselor to see if your attending sessions with her would be helpful. Beyond that, be patient. Your losing patience won't help. Maybe going to counseling with her would help you maintain your patience.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Has your gf seen a doctor for her problem? There are medications that help this condition. Tell her to consult with her primary care physician. If he can't help her ask him to refer her to a psychologist.

  • 1 decade ago

    Wow, that is a tough one. I can only ask you, are you really sure that you are prepared for this road? If you are the kudo's for you. Sorry I cant help. But atleast she has someone who cares................................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.