Can a '98 Dodge Caravan get 600mi. to a tank highway?

I have a bet going that there is no way a '98 dodge caravan can get 600 miles to a tank of gas. Is it possible and is there a web sight or another simple way to prove this either way?

Favorite Answer

The '98 Dodge Caravan has a 20 gallon tank, so in order to get a 600 mile range on a tank, it would need to be able to get 30 miles to a gallon. This would be highly unlikely unless you were driving downhill on a 15 or 20 percent grade for the entire tank.

Mine did because the piece of crap had more miles on the back of a tow truck than it had driving by itself. I bet I got over a thousand miles out of a tank of gas that way.

Source(s): I hate those things. My new year's resolution is to rid the world of them. I don't know how I am going to do it, but if I get a raise at work I will buy them all and crush them at a junkyard.

Unless someone is going down hill for 250 miles of that 600.

• ra63

No way - we have 2 Dodge Caravans - neither get near that much.

• maamu

Well, you are going to have to use averages.

But just search and find the size of tank the vehicle has. Then find the average MPG for highway miles. Then do the math.

M

if you drive the van at 30-40 mph the entire time with no uphill climbs, it would probably do it. 30 mpg is not that far fetched. make sure your bet includes that the van must be going at highway speeds. then you are ok, as long as the tank is stock capacity.

There is a piece called the belt tensioner pulley. It is spring loaded, to keep the belt tight. As the spring ages, it gets loose and causes the belt to squeal. Replace the tensioner AND the belt. It is a fairly easy job, if you are handy, you can do it yourself. The parts will run about $80-100 at any auto parts store. At a garage, expect to pay about $150-200 to have it fixed.

I would say no. My dodge caravan can get about 400, but thats it.

Source(s): checked it with the odometer.

No way they only have like 25 galon tanks but it could have some serious mods to it

Depending on the engine, and the speed, but yes it is possible. Especially going about 50mph and extra weight out.